Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Harley guy getting a Uly

Old Harley guy getting a Uly

Hey gang, Found this joint from the facebook group. Thanks to those whom posted on that topic I think I have a great basis to getting a Uly on the road with some good info.

After searching around in the threads in here I have come to the conclusion that I should have leaned this way years ago. Some of you have built the exact type of uly I am looking forward to building myself.

I am looking to get a Uly and customize it for 2 up adventure touring with the woman on rides like the ALCAN so I am not trashing my new streetglide. From the advice I recieved from the members on facebook and reading the threads in here it seems that these are the major things I should be searching for. 2008 and up on model years, learning and understanding the ECM mapping and TPS system. Seems everything else is pretty straight forward for me since I have been wrenching on V twins from shovels heads to modern twin cams and everything in-between.

For those of you that have made a adventure touring bike out of the ULY what 50/50 tires and exhaust would be the best way to go?

For adventure tires in order, Heidanau Scouts, Continental TKC 80's, and last TKC 70's I prefer the TKC 70's myself, I find them to be very good on road and pretty good off road as well as giving very good life. The TPS reset is pretty simple and it's easy to look up. Sorry I can't help you with ECM mapping but there are plenty here who can.

Good luck and enjoy.

Oh, sorry, welcome to the forum.

Those Heidanau Scouts are getting some great reviews, thanks for the info. cant believe dudes on the GS bikes are getting over 10k miles out of them.

Inactive
    avoid possible future regret. keep in mind a ulysses is NOT as roomy and ergonomically spacious as a suzuki V-Strom 1000 or a bmw GS. strongly suggest you and the "queen-bee" find a ulysses for sale or privately owned, cozy up to the owner/seller, and both mount it. having owned at least 6 ulysses that i can recall....my GF and i are what i would refer to as "reasonably sized" adult americans....not NBA centers or tubs-of-lard. we found a ulysses extremely cramped bordering on intolerable for 2-up riding exceeding anything more than approx. 1 hour.

If you want to have a look at one, St Louis area.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/6007225270.html

On my Triumph Explorer, I installed Conti TKC 70's @ 6700 miles, I took them off at 18700, really ! They still some mileage left but I figured why push it. Also, I ran the sh-t out of them. That bike will cruze at 100mph all day, the tires were pushed well beyond what they were made for, oh also, the first day riding them home, I must have picked up a nail, had to plug the tire the next day ! Never had a problem. This is why I like them so much and will more than likely be installing them on my Ully when the time comes.

Almost forgot, I don't remember when but I started running Ride-On in the tires.

Also, many people like mixing, like Heidanau on front and a TKC 80 on the rear. So you might want to check into that also.
    Last edited by njloco; 02-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    avoid possible future regret. keep in mind a ulysses is NOT as roomy and ergonomically spacious as a suzuki V-Strom 1000 or a bmw GS. strongly suggest you and the "queen-bee" find a ulysses for sale or privately owned, cozy up to the owner/seller, and both mount it. having owned at least 6 ulysses that i can recall....my GF and i are what i would refer to as "reasonably sized" adult americans....not NBA centers or tubs-of-lard. we found a ulysses extremely cramped bordering on intolerable for 2-up riding exceeding anything more than approx. 1 hour.
    John speaks the truth. Where you located?

I am in Oregon, I have ridden a Uly last week with the woman and it felt fine for our 4 hour jaunt. she is pretty small and I will typically ride like on a dirtbike so it didnt feel cramped to me. I weigh 200 lbs and she comes to my chest so not that big of a load for the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfighter View Post
    I am in Oregon, I have ridden a Uly last week with the woman and it felt fine for our 4 hour jaunt. she is pretty small and I will typically ride like on a dirtbike so it didnt feel cramped to me. I weigh 200 lbs and she comes to my chest so not that big of a load for the bike.
    So my luggage probably out weighs your passenger. Should work well. I never had much issue on the highway with my wife on, but slow stuff driveways and what not and hard breaking was when she made it feel cramped. If you get one make sure and post pics!

I will, I am a minimalist by trade (army cav) so I am allready planning on full giant loop bags and gear which is super light and waterproof ad will be upgrading the suspension right off the bat since I have some friends at fox that may be able to put some things together for me. looking forward to the lope sound in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast