Thread: New brake bads with other rotors?

New brake bads with other rotors?

I'm planning on installing new "Braking" (brand) rotors front and rear. I just recently (+-1500 miles) replaced my brake pads. Do I need to get new ones?

Thanks in advance.

New pads would be best, but you'll be fine with the old pads. But be sure to bed them in properly again to transfer pad material to the new rotors properly.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...l-instructions

Inactive
    ^^^^^ what shaughn said. but if you notice a pulsating lever when you start to ride with the new rotor and used pads....and it doesn't improve after approx. 50 miles or so it's a classic sign of worn rotor mounting hardware. new solid mount hardware from EBR typically resolves that problem.

I've had pulsing rotors ever since I've purchased the bike (only when braking). And very very pulsing when almost stopped. I purchased the bike with these new pads. You guys think they weren't bedded in proper? Because i know this is very important.

Inactive
    impossible to tell if they were or not but to reiterate.....a pulsing brake lever is attributable to the following:
    1- warped rotor
    2-brake pads with cracked friction material
    3-"worn past service limits" rotor mounting hardware
    4- incorrectly installed rotor mounting hardware
    5-extreme amount of dirt/brake dust in the rotor tensioner spring rim holes.
    NOTE: a "clunk" or "thud" when applying front brake particularly at low speeds is loose or faulty steering head bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdylan92 View Post
    I've had pulsing rotors ever since I've purchased the bike (only when braking). And very very pulsing when almost stopped. I purchased the bike with these new pads. You guys think they weren't bedded in proper? Because i know this is very important.
    Pulsing because of improper bedding procedure is caused by the rotor, not the pads.

Lunatic is right, and I highly recommend the EBR mounting hardware. I believe the weird Buell floating rotor mounting hardware was engineered to solve a nonexistent problem, hence the existence of the EBR solid mounting kit.

Hmm okay. Well one of my co-workers has his own little business and can supply me with "Braking" rotors for dealer prices. So I'm going to do that anyway. And I'm going to get new pads. Now the next problem: Does the EBR hardware work with this rotor. Because I know it doesnt with the Galfer one from Twinmotorcycles (as they say on their site).

And thanks for the good explanation guys. Is there a way to check if my rotor is warped when I have it dismounted? Just put it on something very flat like a glass table?