Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 XB9SX Oil Change???? Help

05 XB9SX Oil Change???? Help

Hey guys, Noob here. Just got my buell and wanting to do a fluid change, crankcase and primary. Who uses what oils, how much does this thing hold and what size is the oil filter(part #)
    No Harley Dealer is open today, hoping to get everything at autozone.

Any tips and advice are welcomed.

Thanks guys!

Take your pick Mobile 1 20w50 full Synthetic, both holes. I like Amsoil but you wont find it today.

Here`s some oil filters.
    ACDelco # UPF1233
    Amsoil SDF10, EA009, EA010 (1/2€longer=more oil)
    Bosch # 3311
    Car Quest 85394
    Champion # C138
    Fram # PH4967
    HD # 63806-004 or 00y?
    HiFloFiltro #HF177
    K&N # hp-1003, KN-177
    Mighty # m4477
    Napa # 1394
    Mobil 1 # M1-103
    Motorcraft # FL836
    Penzoil # pz39
    Purolator # L14476
    STP # S4967
    Valvoline # vo40
    Wal-Mart Super Tech # ST4967
    Wix # 51394
    Union Sangyo[OEM Toyota Mfg]#C-170
    SCOTTS PERFORMANCE BILLET OIL FILTER

2 1/2 q in swing arm
    1 q in primary
    4 oz in new oil filter

Make sure your o rings are in great shape play it safe replace they are cheap

Make sure that you screw in the dipstick all the way to check the hot oil. Mine doesn't read at all, even when hot, until I screw it in.

Ride motorcycle for approximately 10 minutes to ensure the oil is hot and the engine is at normal operating temperature.

Per the Buell Owners Manual:

# 1. The motorcycle must be on level ground, on the side stand, with the engine off.

# 2. See Filler Plug/Dipstick Location: XB Models. Unscrew and remove dipstick from oil tank/swing arm filler hole. Wipe dipstick clean.

# 3. Insert dipstick into oil tank filler hole, screwing dipstick in completely.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 02-26-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks man you are awesome! Any other tips?!?

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    Dont use the factory torque specs for the drain plug. The swing arm plug will strip out easily.
    Good point ^^^^^^^^^

Fluid change was a success. Stuff that was in there was DIRTY! I'll most likely ride a it few days and change again. Thanks for the help!

Banned
    You can add Seafoam to the oil if you are going to change it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by campbellian73 View Post
    Fluid change was a success. Stuff that was in there was DIRTY! I'll most likely ride a it few days and change again. Thanks for the help!
    Lets see some pics of your bike , How many miles are on the clock?

Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    WHAT??? Why???
    To clean that crap out of there! LOL.

Its an 05, barley ran, seems like it spent most of its lift getting beat up in a garage its only got 3800 miles on it. Only have one pic on my phone, Ill add some more later this week so yall can look her over. Ive been riding for years, just got a buell tho! Ive wanted one for so long, its just never worked out until now. IMG_8366.jpg

Nice bike, you will love it ! Just make sure you go through this site and learn as much as possible and, always double check torque specs. as some were listed at the wrong amount.

Enjoy !

Inactive
    a few "new owner tips" for you sire:
    1-never ever use "car oil" in the primary system. i've tried them all and prefer amsoil 20wt-50 cycle oil in same. which ever fluid you decide to use be damn sure it is JASO-MA or MA2 rated. your clutch pack depends on that rating. any "car oil" of correct viscosity works fine in the swingarm tank. DO NOT add any friction modifiers, additives, or any sort of miracle elixirs to either the swingarm tank or primary system. completely unnecessary and utter waste of money.
    2-2007 and up toyota yaris oil filters interchange with all buell XB models. buy quality....not some house-brand clunker. i prefer wix, K&N or HiFlo. dealer OEM filter also excellent but pricey.
    3-the primary drain plug and swingarm drain plug interchange. each has an O-ring seal on it. that seal interchanges with most all H-D sportster and big-twin drain plug O-rings. available online for a few cents each. stock up and replace each oil change. DO NOT use any sort of thread sealant on either drain plug. reduntant and completely unnecessary.
    4-DO NOT hammer the throttle or rev the motor until sufficient heat built up in same. if you fail to heed my warning let me know and i'll be happy to supply you with rocker box, base gasket and cylinder head gasket part numbers. you'll be needing them.
    5-XB's can be both tedious and tempermental to check oil levels on. happy to give you the procedure if necessary.

Last edited by user_deleted; 02-27-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast