Thread: Oil filter sizes

Oil filter sizes

I have a K&N oil filter and a WIX oil filter. Both are listed as the correct part, as per their respective manufacturers, for an XB12. However, they are different sizes, with the WIX filter being longer by about 1 inch. I thought the size of the oil filter needed to be specific to the motorcycle in order to produce the correct filtering flow rate. Can anyone comment on that?

Does it have to be the exact length of the OEM filter to be the correct part? Because if that is the case, the listed WIX (part # 51394-EA) filter is too long and the K&N is spot on.

FWIW... This may, or may not, be correct as I've never used a filter for this many miles before... Ea Oil Filters have greater capacity than competing filter lines. When used in conjunction with (Amsoil) synthetic motor oils in normal service, EaO Filters are guaranteed to remain effective for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. That's from Amsoil and WIX is a filter they sell

I'm assuming the EA version has greater capacity

You can call Amsoil's tech line and get the info first hand. The larger filters give more capacity, I don't think they effect flow rate unless you get really carried away and put one on that is way bigger than the original size.