Thread: Long road to refire X1

Long road to refire X1

Readers Digest Condensed Version:

2012 my bike was taken for a "ride" by someone, without permission. There was 201 miles extra, no fuel, and no oil. It was dropped twice. The shock blown. Exhaust stud cracked (inner front).
    And used my gear to ride.
    Yep, know who it was.
    Yes, he is still walking.
    No, the insurance did not cover it.
    Yes, I have spent a butt load of money fixing it so far.

So, after getting the exhaust fixed (1k), the shock replaced (1.2k), and the fuel pump rebuilt (from our wonderful ethanol fuel), I got it started (3.5k later). The thing sounded like a sewing machine. Found out it was one of the lifter pins snapped. A set of cams later, it is now back together and needing to set the static timing.

The rub: cannot get the bike into 5th gear while not running to turn the wheel to get the timing in the "window" correctly.

What is the trick?

Will go between 1st and 2nd. Just not any higher.

You must rotate the rear wheel while giving the shift lever some pressure so that the dogs in the constant mesh trans line up.

And for Gods sake find a different shop! But wait... You are doing your own cams and lifters but spent $3500 on less than $400 worth of work? Me thinks theres more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You must rotate the rear wheel while giving the shift lever some pressure so that the dogs in the constant mesh trans line up.

And for Gods sake find a different shop! But wait... You are doing your own cams and lifters but spent $3500 on less than $400 worth of work? Me thinks theres more to the story.
    Thank you for the info.

Yes, there is more to the story than just the cams and lifters.