Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buells and HD Dealers - General Rant

Buells and HD Dealers - General Rant

<RANT>
    I own two HD products, and I use the term HD products loosely. I have a 2007 VRSCR Street Rod, arguably the best motorcycle to ever come out of the HD company and a newly acquired 2008 Buell Ulysses XT. About a month ago I went into the stealership looking for a stator side cover gasket for the Street Rod and the parts monkey behind the counter had me so confused with his total lack of knowledge I actually left the parts counter wondering if I actually owned a motorcycle. Apparently its called an alternator side cover gasket, for a V-ROD. Thank You Sir! Yesterday I went into a different, local dealership looking for a temperature sensor and a spare belt for the Buell. I was smart enough to bring the appropriate HD part numbers from the catalog, to prevent the same mistake as I did with the Street Rod. The parts monkey was able to find the parts online but informed me that they never sold buells and because of that reason the parts would take 4 to 6 weeks to order, even tho they are instock at the HD warehouse. She also quoted me a price of $299.00 for the belt, that a second HD dealer about 2 hours away quoted me $220.00 for over email.

I politely left the dealership. I will source parts from eBay and other online retailers before I walk into the local HD dealership again. I will never trust my bikes to the savage hands of these people. I will certainly never part with my hard earned money to by a new H-D (or used) from a dealer.
    </RANT>

Granted the HD corporation will not get millions in sales from me, it is confusing that dealers wouldn't take the time to work with you, especially since you already own one of their products. I have worked in service for 23 years and the rule in my experience has been. The salesman will get the initial sale but it's the way you service and support the customer, that will guarantee your next sale.

Ok Rant Finished.

Please return to your previous, happy existence.

i rarely go to a local dealer for anything. I mostly purchase online from Lance at ST. Paul Harley. I do have 2 "local" dealers though. One i refuse to ever step foot in again, and the other is always very polite and helpful with anything Buell. It probably helps that they used to be a huge Buell dealer back in the day.

I'm with you on this. I have a 1995 Sportster, 2000 S3TR and 2009 XB12R.

I know for a fact certain parts are interchangeable on the Sporty and S3T. If I even so much as mention Buell to the parts guys at the San Jose HD (Lanesplitter HD), they gloss over and tell me they can't help me. If I mention the year of my sportster, they act similarly and constantly "remind" me that my bike is old and parts are not always available (well duh!). If I go in with the part number and don't mention either bike, they are able to order parts and tell me of any updated versions.

I will also never buy another HD specifically for this reason.

Oh and just try to schedule a service for the 1995 and they will refuse it as they don't work on older bikes.... Thanks HD!

But if you want a doo-rag or H-D branded chaps they are happy enough to charge you $69 for the bandanna and $399 for the chaps (both made in china).

Because, legit Yo!

Inactive
    the parts monkey behind the counter had me so confused with his total lack of knowledge I actually left the parts counter wondering if I actually owned a motorcycle.

knew this would be just another worthless cringe-worthy thread when you referred to the poor soul behind the parts counter trying to make a living @ $10.25 an hour ...as a monkey.

+1 to St Paul HD. They're super Buell friendly as long as you're ordering online anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    the parts monkey behind the counter had me so confused with his total lack of knowledge I actually left the parts counter wondering if I actually owned a motorcycle.

knew this would be just another worthless cringe-worthy thread when you referred to the poor soul behind the parts counter trying to make a living @ $10.25 an hour ...as a monkey.
    thats true/\ monkey is a bit rough
    I've never been a parts man myself, but I'm friends with damn near a dozen, from guys that work here @ the dealer, to guys i drink beer with that work at O'Rielly's, and even a harley parts guy. I can tell you that their job sounds s#itastic! most people that are parts shopping are dicks especially @ a harley dealer or have no idea what they need/ want or why. Give the guys break for maybe taking a piss poor attitude when you come in with you goofy parts needs. I dont ever go to Loess Hill HD and buy buell parts becuase they didn't sell buells! and the parts guys have been told not to order any buell parts for that reason, they dont want to get stuck with them!! Dillon HD sold buells, they happily get me buell parts all day long and even have a couple in stock!!! use your head guys!

St Paul HD. They're super Buell friendly Call Lance.

You are correct. I should be more respectful of the parts counter person. I forgot that just because the bikes are priced in platinum that the H-D staff are not all millionaires.

I would prefer to mail order all of my HD and Buell parts but as a "Canadian" St. Paul and Surdyke will not ship across the boarder. The Canadian HD dealers have not yet upgraded there systems to connect to the Internet and apparently a contract with FedEx or UPS is beyond their capabilities. I will have to make a 2 hour drive pilgramage to the GREAT HD dealer that once sold Buells for my parts needs that I can not get off of e-bay or from pulling parts off of old Fords at the U-Pull auto wreckers.
    Last edited by pdksh; 03-10-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Many members here will gladly act as a go between for parts... Adds a little expense, but not too bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast