Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: newb needs advice

2 words. Shady Maple.

I will be back.

1 more question then I'll get out of your hair guys. The "check engine light" was on when I purchased the bike, for a refresh it's a 2007 xb12s. I read on here that I need to remove seat and jump the connector to read the codes. My question is where do codes show ? on instrument panel ?? or do I need a certain piece of equipment ???

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    2 words. Shady Maple.

I will be back.

seriously aaron? shady maple is 10 minutes east of me on the new holland pike. small world.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboub1 View Post
    1 more question then I'll get out of your hair guys. The "check engine light" was on when I purchased the bike, for a refresh it's a 2007 xb12s. I read on here that I need to remove seat and jump the connector to read the codes. My question is where do codes show ? on instrument panel ?? or do I need a certain piece of equipment ???
    for your 2007 lightning here is the method to read any stored trouble codes and what each code designates. NOTE: using this method only indicates any stored codes. it is not a method to clear any stored codes. that is only accomplished via full diagnostics software OR 50 "no code" clean ecm cycles as per this method: The only way to clear codes without hooking the bike up to a computer is to take the bike through 50 start and run cycles (start engine, run for at least 30 seconds, shut it off).

First thing to do is locate your diagnostic test plug under the seat. It's an empty four pin connector. If you're looking at it with the pins facing you and the locking tab at the 12:00 position, the pins are numbered as follows:

Pin 1 -- upper right corner
    Pin 2 -- lower right corner
    Pin 3 -- lower left corner
    Pin 4 -- upper left corner

With the ignition switch off, install a jumper wire across pins 1 and 2 in the diagnostic plug.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait approximately 8 seconds for the check engine light to start flashing.

All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To rettrieve the first digit of the code, simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.

The transmission of a trouble code is always preceeded by six rapid flashes (about 3 per second). This transmission is followed by a 2 second pause in which the lamp is off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. The length of time that the lamp will be either on or off when indicating a trouble code is about 1 second in duration.

Following the transmission of the first digit in the trouble code, there will be another two second pause before the second digit is transmitted.

After the second digit is transmitted, there will be another 2 second pause. After the pause comes another intermission (six rapid flashes) after which the next stored code is transmitted in the same manner. Once all the trouble codes have been displayed, the sequence will repeat.

If all you observe is the rapid flashing, then no trouble codes have been stored.

When done, turn the ignition key off and remove the jumper wire.

There is no way to clear trouble codes using this method. The only way to clear codes without hooking the bike up to a computer is to take the bike through 50 start and run cycles (start engine, run for at least 30 seconds, shut it off).

The trouble codes are as follows:

11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor
    15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 Interactive muffler control (XB12 only)
    23 Front fuell injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    32 Rear fuell injector
    33 Fuell pump
    35 Tachometer
    36 Cooling fan
    44 Bank angle sensor
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure

thank you so much lunatic.... gonna give this a shot

since you bought it up and I'm new to buells, if I need to clear codes and want to hook up computer to bike. where would that be ??

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboub1 View Post
    thank you so much lunatic.... gonna give this a shot

since you bought it up and I'm new to buells, if I need to clear codes and want to hook up computer to bike. where would that be ??
    yes sir my pleasure. where would what be john? the diagnostics plug? it is the part i mentioned which is under the seat of your lighting and has a dark gray colored rubber protective cover over the port. can't miss it there as nothing else looks like it. you'll need your device and the software to access your lightning ecm. COLE on here (AZmidget) is the board "go-to" guy for the computer gear.

thanks again !!!!

I messaged AZ so I'm looking forward to addressing this issue. bike is sweet and runs great so I cant wait for some warmer weather

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    seriously aaron? shady maple is 10 minutes east of me on the new holland pike. small world.
    I get out to PA every now and again. I was travelling through East Earl with a rep and he suggested stopping at Shady Maple. Now I have another reason to say Hi to someone.

ok.... downloaded ECMSpy.... ordered and received interface cable... hooked up cable to bike, then cable to computer. tried to pull trouble codes, but program tells me "cant get firmware version".
    help !!!

Is the key on AND the switch on?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast