Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: double walled fuel tank?

JB weld is another tried and true option to use.

Find a good body guy with no conscience...like me have him fill it and paint it then install a puck. No one will every know!

sorry for the late response, other things had me occupied with this bike (namely the rabbit hole of ecm tuning, which BTW if anyone has any suggestions or helpful links that arent dead, i'm all ears). i scraped off the rtv to find another layer of dark goop with what appeared to be styrofoam embedded in it (leftover adhesive from the old puck?) no cracks or holes... you guys keep suggesting JB Weld, is there a reason for suggesting that over plastic body filler (Bondo)?

Anything over 1/8" thick is hack and you are asking for trouble. You aren't supposed to mould new body panels with Bondo, and JB weld was never meant for body filler either.

Grind it to bare metal, TIG weld 1/8" aluminum pins on the low parts (like using a spitznagel gun), and use a dent puller to get it close before a skim coat of putty for a proper repair.

Or get 3m trim tape and tape on a new puck.

Here in Switzerland welding the tank is not allowed, you have to change the frame. If there is no insurance paying for it people often use "liquid metal". It's an mixture of epoxy resin with metalpowder for example sold by Loctite. You can use it also to fill in bigger slots. Often they cover it with frame covers like this:
    HF Carbon Frame cover.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12