Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Gauge Lens

Cracked Gauge Lens

So when i bought my lightning it came with a cracked lens on the cluster housing. Is there anything I can do to repair it? Or is replacement the best route? The gauges and lights in the cluster all work fine, so I don't want to have to buy an entire cluster if i can help it. Here are a couple pics of the damage.
    20170310_200253.jpg20170310_211359.jpg

-Corey

Inactive
    it cannot be satisfactorily repaired. replace it. it will interchange with any other XB model cluster lense.

Banned
    Remove the cracked window, measure it, then laser cut new window from acrylic glass.

Inactive
    [QUOTE=TPEHAK;583968]Remove the cracked window, measure it, then laser cut new window from acrylic glass.

outstanding suggestion. you can either purchase a sheet of clear acrylic lexan for approx. $100 and a top quality laser cutting/etching machine in the range of $900-$27,000......or buy this and be done with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUELL-XB12R-...BXeV5y&vxp=mtr

or this one . Many to choose from .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Buell-F...BYmMe5&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Silverrider; 03-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.

I've searched around ebay and a few buell part sites, but was looking for just the lens portion of the housing. Didnt want to have to buy an entire cluster. Was hoping someone had found a magic adhesive that would just fill the crack Thanks for the input!

-Corey

Doubt you'll find that alone, but you will find your new laser cutter very useful!

I'm sure it will!

While your looking for just the lens, tape it off on each side of the crack, get some clear silicone that is also UV protected, apply, remove tape right away, when you remove the tape, peal away at a 45 degree angle, let cure fully.

Good luck.

P.S. sorry my bad, I never looked at the actual crack, you'll have to do the longest crack first then work out from that crack to the end of the others, let each line cure completely before starting the next. Also, to stop the cracks from extending themselves, take a small, and I mean small !, drill bit and drill the ends of the cracks which will be sealed when you apply the silicone.
    Last edited by njloco; 03-12-2017 at 02:31 PM.

[QUOTE=lunaticfringe;583970]
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Remove the cracked window, measure it, then laser cut new window from acrylic glass.

outstanding suggestion. you can either purchase a sheet of clear acrylic lexan for approx. $100 and a top quality laser cutting/etching machine in the range of $900-$27,000......or buy this and be done with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUELL-XB12R-...BXeV5y&vxp=mtr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast