Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the problem!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    So, whats the fuel pressure? Or were you hoping sea foam would 'fix' it. Hahaha.. Sorry...

have resorted to a simple 90* pick for the lock ring with pretty good success. Remember, all you are doing is getting the tabs over the moulded barb on the line.

I know, kills me to not be able to check it. I used the 2 pick trick to remove the stock connector but couldn't get it to release until the one tab broke, it was brittle from heat and to get a 4 tab release with the pick is next to impossible but the 2 tab one I replaced with should be no problem with the 2 picks.

I purged the fuel line at the fuel rail into a clear water bottle before I drained the tank. The gas was fine with no contamination, the sea foam was added for the tank and injector tip to help incase of possible sediment.

I should have said the pressure "could" be checked but not with what is provided in the kits. What is needed would be 4 hose clamps 5/16 fuel line the pressure gauge with "T" connection and a special brass connector at the pump end with barb to clamp the line to. This setup would allow for garage check but I wouldn't try to ride the bike with this setup. I could only find one picture of an XB with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and it was Twin motorcycles, even then you couldn't see how it was hooked up. I would guess they spent the money and made up a dedicated setup with the proper stock ends needed to quickly hook up and test.

Once I had the line in I tried the bike normally, then hooked to ECMSpy and turned off 02/BAS/Closed loop idle to rule out what I could, that leaves TPS/CPS/AIT/Head temp only and I had no change. Even though it's erratic in a way it is a consistent erratic in that it doesn't care about temps or where it is RPM wise. If it was pump pressure it would be hard to go from 2k to 5k or 6k without some kind of hesitation I would think but this doesn't seem to be a problem. I wish those that have diagnosed the CPS running bad could throw in their 2'cents.
    Last edited by lowkey; 03-21-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: More info

This is a weird one Lowkey, good luck.
    Have you asked PaulPud or maybe Lunatic for a CPS instead of a new one?

Inactive
    cps always back-fires thru the intake snorkel when "coming back online" so to speak. and enough nose-cone heat will typically make it go crazy. and a cps on the way out also typically dumps a "plug to misfire" code either front or rear into fault code storage. hoping you don't have a failing ecm unit but before anything else you really need to do the following:
    1-warm motor----run a simple compression test with WOT
    2-remove the fuel pump and check for chafed or split wires.
    your symptoms mirror those of some faulty pumps i've replaced in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    cps always back-fires thru the intake snorkel when "coming back online" so to speak. and enough nose-cone heat will typically make it go crazy. and a cps on the way out also typically dumps a "plug to misfire" code either front or rear into fault code storage. hoping you don't have a failing ecm unit but before anything else you really need to do the following:
    1-warm motor----run a simple compression test with WOT
    2-remove the fuel pump and check for chafed or split wires.
    your symptoms mirror those of some faulty pumps i've replaced in the past.
    The back fire through the intake is absolutely terrible right now, yes.

1.) Could do a compression test and would like to know where they are at anyway for peace-of-mind but what is meant by "test with WOT"???
    2.) Not apposed to pull the pump assembly and giving it a thorough inspection, don't want to possibly tear those large O-rings though... PITA to source in this small town.

As for CPS failures, it appears they can have varying degrees of showing symptoms from slight to heavy, getting worse with heat or not... etc, at least form the threads I can find on them. You are the only person stating a code associated with one gong bad that I have seen so far, I wish that were the case here, love it when the ECU can say "hey look over here". I hope someone comes through with one I can borrow or buy on the cheap! I'm seeing if an electrician who has a second house out here has an oscilloscope I can borrow the next time he comes out.

EDIT:

And... he doesn't have one but may be able to borrow one and won't be out for a couple weeks... someone PLEASE come through with a sensor and I'll ship it right back I promise!!!
    Last edited by lowkey; 03-22-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: more info

Inactive
    1.) Could do a compression test and would like to know where they are at anyway for peace-of-mind but what is meant by "test with WOT"???
    2.) Not apposed to pull the pump assembly and giving it a thorough inspection, don't want to possibly tear those large O-rings though... PITA to source in this small town.

1-any leak-down or compression test must always be done on a warm motor and WOT is wide-open-throttle for either test.
    2-the pump o-rings are typically reuseable. clean with denatured alcohol....NOT lacquer thinner....coat with O-ring sil based lube and reinstall.

Thanks lunatic,

Yeah when I read WOT I was thinking you were referring to WOT in a running condition... to clarify, anyone seeing this he is referring to the throttle body butterfly being in complete open position to get the proper compression/leak down reading. It could just be me but that is were my brain went when I read that. Also if someone sees this, compression should be 120psi or above.

I'll pull the pump of course, I was just kind of complaining indirectly I guess and that with my luck they will need replacing... I haven't seen them sourced in any of the pump threads I don't think? Someone said they had luck with the local hydraulic shop and another said McMaster-Carr if I remember right.

If the fuel pump o-rings come out ok (and they should), they may seem too big to put back in right away. Don't stress. let them dry out for a day and they will 'shrink' back to being tight on the assembly and will re-install easily with a little lube.

And Lunatic is right (of course) about not using lacquer thinner to clean them

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If the fuel pump o-rings come out ok (and they should), they may seem too big to put back in right away. Don't stress. let them dry out for a day and they will 'shrink' back to being tight on the assembly and will re-install easily with a little lube.

And Lunatic is right (of course) about not using lacquer thinner to clean them
    thanks for that shaughn. lowkey....look at the thread i just initiated. should be of interest to you.

Little update:

first thanks lunatic, I saw your post about the seals, the rebuild offerings from http://motoenthusiasts.bigcartel.com...fuel-pump-kits looks to be a good place to go depending on what I need. I borrowed a compression tester but of course there isn't an adapter for the 12mm size of the buell plug. I checked with autozone on the rental tester they offer as well but that one only has the 14mm plug too. So I ordered an adapter kit from amazon that will be here today. I only held off on pulling the pump to get the compression numbers before I see what's going on fuel wise. While I've been waiting I played with the CPS advancing it slightly and retarding it slightly, while it's not a black and white answer if it is working properly or not the adjustments are changing the timing, still could be going bad but as of now it is leading me to believe it is working as it should for now.

Compression test results: Front 155psi Rear 154psi...

Will be pulling the pump tonight or tomorrow.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast