Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Common equipment failure

Inactive
    least expensive top quality front rotor on the market----EBC
    all perishables readily available and always will be
    belts unique to the XB series
    VR's do NOT interchange with sportster models. NOT even close. to attempt the swap you need to substantially lengthen one of the VR harnesses as well as build yourself a custom installation bracket. not worth the time or effort.
    with the exception of transluscent body-work....virtually every part will always be available for the XB series. you'll never outlive the supply chain. ask any H1/H2 owner. stock piling XB parts complete and utter waste of time and money.

What about the front isolator mount, John? I'm considering purchasing one of those as a spare given how hard of a time some folks have had in getting one with lengthy backorders. I've done a little looking and it isn't clear what the normal life expectancy is for that part.

I think what he's saying is it's normal to get a few parts that are Buell specific and have been proven hard to find, but that's not many. Trying to stockpile every part that may fail is not very efficient and futile endeavor.

Sure, grab an isolator or a belt. The VR on my 1125 says Ducati on it and I thought someone was making new translucent parts in Vietnam or something?

If anyone is still overly concerned about spare parts for their Buell being available another decade from now, I'd say buy a low mileage salvage title bike for cheap and stash it as a parts donor.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-15-2017 at 07:23 AM.

I've got a spare belt, that's it.

If my local HD dealer can't sort me out I'm hoping Twin Motorcycles can.

There developing some of there own parts too, like the isolater http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websho...front_isolater

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    What about the front isolator mount, John? I'm considering purchasing one of those as a spare given how hard of a time some folks have had in getting one with lengthy backorders. I've done a little looking and it isn't clear what the normal life expectancy is for that part.
    probably not a bad idea james but there's tons of them out there. what people fail to realize is not every dealer performs in the same manner as surdyke, lancaster, new castle et al. there are lots of buell dealers in north america that have a tremendous amount of buell parts as working inventory. they have no interest in online auctions or internet sales. but they have the parts. this is what feeds the bulk of the supply pipeline. and the parts will NOT be going into the parking lot dumpster as inventory room needs to be freed up. dealers are savvy and learned from the 80's and 90's not to ever make that mistake again. IMO as i mentioned stock-piling buell parts utterly ridiculous.

Great info here as always. With the solid contributors on this forum like lunatic, Cooter and others it's like we're never riding alone and my appreciation for my Buell just grows stronger. If it isn't said enough, thanks guys! We're out here reading up and absorbing.

Browsing this forum for months was the final check to buying my latest Buell. You guys give me too much confidence...

...but I know with the help here I can fix anything...

Like Calvin said; THANKS!

I will call Lance and John back and tell them they're full of crap and to stop spreading BS about Buell parts shortages and Harley selling them off to http://www.vpartsinc.com/

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by midway View Post
    I will call Lance and John back and tell them they're full of crap and to stop spreading BS about Buell parts shortages and Harley selling them off to http://www.vpartsinc.com/

you should indeed do that. H-D "allegedly" selling off buell parts to a 3rd party operation has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what i noted above. an inference can be drawn from your comment that you're on a first-name basis with these guys. if that's the case i'm sure they'll appreciate your input and duly note same.

I agree, John and Cooter. Most parts will remain available, or at least relatively easy to find, for quite a while. I'll probably still grab both a front and rear isolator and a belt over the coming year just to be sure I have those. The rest I'll deal with as needed. Before my Buell, I owned a 1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor. Great bike and loved the smooth V4 engine. Some parts were still available from Honda and other sources, but they were becoming harder and harder to find. Of course, we are a ways from having 30+ year old XB Buells...but if old Honda parts are hard to find, someday old Buell parts will be also. But, given the relatively small number of Buell owners, the parts that are out there sitting on shelves might stay available for longer since there are fewer bikes being serviced...it's just finding them that might be challenging years from now.

And to Calvin, airbozo, and midway...glad you're here and enjoying your Buells!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast