Thread: ecmdroid problems

ecmdroid problems

I have a new to me '07 XB12s. I want to reset the TPS to start with and maybe go farther but I'm stumped right off the bat. I have a bluetooth dongle and a cheap RCA Android tablet with ECMdroid v.97 on it and it wil pair with the bike's ECM but I cannot do a TPS reset with it. After backing off the TPS adjuster screw it tells me to press ok and then just goes back to the active tests screen. I've done the fan test and it does that ok but none of my screens
    IMG_1734.jpgIMG_1735.jpg
    have any navigation icons or whatever they are called as in the black screen I found on the forum. (Mine's the white screen.) Any ideas what my problem is? Is it the cheap tablet? My BT dongle?
    Thanks and cheers from the West Coast of Canada!

It's working just fine, you're just missing some steps. Also the white background version is just the newer version, nothing has changed other than looks.

Back out idle screw
    Active tests
    TPS reset
    Data channels
    Live data off (turns it to on)
    Set the idle screw so tpd is roughly 5
    Start engine
    Once warm adjust idle to roughly 1100

Thanks AZ! I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes...All these newfangled things, what ever happened to carburetors? It's tough getting old! Seriously, I appreciate your help because I know if I can figure it out there is so much more flexibility and fuel injection does a terrific job!
    Cheers.
    ~ross

Yes, by all means let us know how it works out, I've been stalling about getting the blue tooth even though I already have the droids, mostly not to become a burden on AZ or anyone else, since I know almost nothing about this computer stuff.
    Maybe I'll buy the blue tooth and just bug you, since you will soon be an expert, lol.

P.S. I'm all for bringing back carburetors and, points, condensers, magneto's, and getting rid of the ECM that doesn't speak English !
    Last edited by njloco; 03-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Get the bluetooth. Its easy and foolproof. ECMDroid isn't just for loading maps, it's a great tool for diagnosis but hopefully you never need it

Buellmods.com, Buelltooth.com, and AZMidget on here are all great sources for step by step instructions. Besides 90% of anything you'd need has been asked and answered, and is easily searchable. You aren't building maps from scratch with ECMDroid! And only 2% of people should have too, but that's another discussion...

First, thanks for your support AZ and Cooter! You guys rock!
    I followed AZ's instructions but after I turned on Live Data in Data Channels, I had to go to Log Recorder to see the actual TPS angle as I adjusted the idle screw which I set at 5.3 degrees. Then I went back to Data Channels and turned off Live Data although I'm not sure I needed to do that. Then I started her up and she idled! Yippee!
    I went for a ride to warm her up so I could set the idle speed but it started to rain (this is the Wet Coast after all) so I'll have to do that another day. Overall, another success story, thanks to you guys!
    One more question...While looking around the app under ECM Parameters, General Config, System, I see that Deceleration Fuel Cut is not selected. When I chop the throttle at higher revs or even while shifting it pops ( kind of a mild backfire). Could this setting be the reason for that? How do I make that change?
    Cheers.
    ~ross

That can be caused by a leak in the exhaust pipe, lean mixture, and other things too.

Might as well try it, whats the worst that could happen?

I tried the decel fuel cut setting and just like it says, the fuel cuts out and the bike almost died every time. I unchecked it after one ride.

Sounds like it's time to get a fuel map that matches your Firmware and bike options, then load it with the tools you already have.

Have fun!

With the help of a new tablet I managed to turn on the deceleration fuel cut option. Took it for a ride and found it does cut off the fuel on deceleration but only from 3000 rpm down. It did cure the backfire in that range but made the throttle very abrupt at near idle rpm's. Also increased engine braking substantially! Ended up turning it back off. Learned a few things about the program though and gained some confidence as well. One thing I learned is that if you don't disconnect the bluetooth connection after each use you won't be able to make changes and you will get a "broken pipe" message if you try...
    Thanks to Cooter and everyone for your input and encouragement! I intend to keep going and eventually get rid of the annoying backfire on overrun!
    Cheers.
    ~ross