Thread: VR problem?

VR problem?

Attempted to start my 09 R the other day. Battery was low. Put the charger on it just to give it a quick boost. Fired up, and I drove off. The IC was cutting in and out and stating "electrical problem" or some such verbage. The IC showed voltage up to 15.5V. Drove around for a while and it sort of lowered down. A day later I fired it up, battery holding charge. Threw the voltmeter on the battery while idling in the garage. It registered 14.5V steady while blipping the throttle a bit. Rode it around and the IC showed up to 15V but not over, and usually registered between 14.2-14.8. It appears to have a newer (PO said to have replaced with a Rick's but it looks like the OEM RR) voltage regulator. I performed the diode checks and all was normal there, all three were functioning properly with numbers all close to one another. Is it possible for the RR to be bad even though these diode checks were within normal range? Could a bad battery somehow cause it to overcharge? I have no idea what else charging system wise has been performed, but I'd guess the stator to have been replace with an OEM unit at some point. The battery held a charge and the voltage never dropped below 13.8 during the ride when I snubbed it out in front of 4 million people at busiest of two stoplights in my town. I don't want to buy a new battery if I need a RR. That said, Is just replacing the RR with a MOSFET from RM Stator or Rick's a good enough fix for the charging gremlin to get by for a while, or is a drilled rotor and VR the only solution?

14.2-14.8 is fine.
    15.5 is overcharging and will smoke a battery, stator, and even wiring if it continues to do that.

A bad VR (or shorted, corroded, voltage sensor wiring) is the only thing that will cause an overcharging condition.

Sounds like a VR. Are you sure the PO didn't do the ricks stator rewind and left the original VR. You'll definitely need the EBR oil drilled rotor otherwise you'll keep burning stators.

I rode it today and it stuck right tight at 14.5 on the IC. No headlights as I was just test riding my high bar conversion (fairing was off). Did a poor mans load test by pulling the fuel pump fuse and using the hi/low feature of my multimeter. Battery probably could be replaced. After some not so scientific research I've concluded its a Rick's regulator. I assume this based on looking at pictures on the interweb...just sayin. I tested the stator with my multimeter and it is still passes those tests. Appreciate the replies!

I have a Rick's VR in my 1125R. He uses the stock housing, which you would not know that unless you look closely and/or pull it out of the bike. Been running his VR for about 5k miles. No issues on my end. Highest I've seen is 14.4-14.6 on start and 5-10min of riding. Stop and go never seen it go below 13.8. Cruising its around 14.2-14.3. Call or email Rick and tell him your issues, good people up there.

-J