Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking the oil level and question about the cooling fan

Checking the oil level and question about the cooling fan

New to the forum, owned a Cyclone a few years ago and loved it, sold it for tuition $. Tried my first Harley (04 Sportster 1200r) and after 1 season I'm ready to go back to Buells. Just bought an 06 Ulysses with 20k miles and well taken care of (for the most part).

I've done some searching here and on bad weather bikers but didn't find a good answer:

1) Changed the oil (2.5 qts) and let it idle for 15 minutes in 50 deg F weather. Shut it off and the oil is only on the Add section of the dipstick. Checked it while it was on the kickstand and threaded it fully. What's the deal?

2) After shutting it off to check the oil level, the fan kicked on and ran for about a minute before I became concerned, then turned the key on and off which happened to turn the fan off. Is it normal for it to shut off after turning on and off the key? And is it normal for the fan to run like that, given the conditions above?

3) I've noticed that the later Ulysses's have a different cooling logic, is this something that many people "upgrade" to on their older Ulys like mine? Or just let it be?

I've only test ridden it for now but I can't wait to get it licensed and start riding and to sell that damned Sportster.

Did you fill the change oil filter and fill the new one up with oil, then put the rest of the 2.5q into the swingarm? The fan is fine, our bikes get hot just sitting there with no wind hitting the cooling fins of the engine. I have a oil temp. Gauge installed and the bike will be hotter sitting there then if I really get on the throttle on the open roads.

Inactive
    click on my name. go to my posts/answers. start to scroll. complete post within the last 24 hours on fans....ecm logic for same....what is correct and what isn't.
    then continue to scroll to "oil level check" thread. you will see a full complete correct "only one way to properly check engine oil level" answer i authored within the past 2 weeks. it will answer all your questions.

@simplymichaeljr Yes I did that when changing the oil. Regarding the fan, having it run for 3 minutes or whatever it takes, after the bike is shut off, does that put a lot of strain on the battery?

@lunaticfringe Thanks. Yeah I actually already read that cooling fan thread. My question was is it beneficial for the bike to be running the newer fan logic? I mean they changed it up for a reason, I would assume they found those new settings to benefit the bike better? Or is it more along the lines of that the old fan settings were overkill and they dialed it down (increased the temp threshold that it kicks on) for rider comfort/less wear on the fan?

I went back as far as I could go in your history (march 4 2017) and didn't see anything about oil level checks. Also searched the xb12x forum for "oil level check" and came back with nothing. Basically I'm just wondering if I actually need more than 2.5qts. My ****ty Sportster service manual called for about .5 qt more than it would hold so that's where my apprehension is from. Also, does the suspension setting drastically impact the shown level of oil? Because if it's stiffer it won't squat as much and the swing arm will be more upright, if that makes sense. Maybe there isn't even enough of a change for that to matter.

Level surface, bike warmed up and running on kick stand, check oil !
    Did I get it right guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Level surface, bike warmed up and running on kick stand, check oil !
    Did I get it right guys ?
    I'm 99% sure you wouldn't want it running....everything else I did though. Still only showing on the "add" section of the dipstick.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    @lunaticfringe Thanks. Yeah I actually already read that cooling fan thread. My question was is it beneficial for the bike to be running the newer fan logic? I mean they changed it up for a reason, I would assume they found those new settings to benefit the bike better? Or is it more along the lines of that the old fan settings were overkill and they dialed it down (increased the temp threshold that it kicks on) for rider comfort/less wear on the fan?

I went back as far as I could go in your history (march 4 2017) and didn't see anything about oil level checks. Also searched the xb12x forum for "oil level check" and came back with nothing. Basically I'm just wondering if I actually need more than 2.5qts. My ****ty Sportster service manual called for about .5 qt more than it would hold so that's where my apprehension is from. Also, does the suspension setting drastically impact the shown level of oil? Because if it's stiffer it won't squat as much and the swing arm will be more upright, if that makes sense. Maybe there isn't even enough of a change for that to matter.
    there is ONE and only ONE definitive, consistent, highly accurate method to check XB oil level for all years and models XB's and no....suspension settings irrelevant. and it goes like this:
    1-on level surface with bike on sidestand and NOTHING under the sidestand.
    2-ride bike until sufficiently warm. driveline must be sufficiently warm. that means you can place your bare hand on both the primary cover and left side of swingarm and feel warmth. does NOT have to boiling hot....just warm to the touch.
    3-stop....park bike on sidestand.....dismount....remove gear...fetch a cloth or paper towel....remove dipstick.
    4-NOW check the oil level. if within the XXXXX range on dipstick you're good to go. IMPORTANT: the "add oil" range on the factory dipstick somewhat inconsistent. if level at bottom of range add ONE PINT.....NOT ONE QUART. some manuals say quart but that typically results in an over-filled condtion.
    don't know why this isn't one of those G damn sticky things on here. i post this up weekly it seems.

Updated fan logic is ddfi3 only so 08 and up. Your fan is working properly from the description. Right side scoop will cut down on during and post ride fan running.

@lunatic I guess I just need to get it hotter. I thought idling for 15 minutes would the trick. I thought maybe there was some unusual trick that I was unaware of. I should be getting it licensed later this week so I'll take it for a ride assuming its not 35 and raining. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast