Thread: Oil Leak, engine removal

Oil Leak, engine removal

I knew the bike had a few oil leaks when I bought it. No big deal. Over the course of the last three hundred miles that I have put on the bike I have discovered that the entire rear of the engine is covered in oil. It is a slow leak, engine doesn't have to be running for it to leak. Now that has been covered I am thinking of removing the engine to go over it completely to replace any gaskets that will need to be replaced. I haven't torn into that bike at all. What is the easiest method to remove the engine? The evolution style engine is not a new thing to me as I had a Sportster before this and spent a lot of time working on it and replacing parts. Then again the Sportster engine was more out in the open to work on than the XB9 City X that I have.

They are known to do that if there is too much oil in it !

The bike sat for a while because I didn't want to work on it. Had another bike to ride when I could so it sat. I got around to fixing it over Labor Day Weekend and the rear and front rocker box covers were leaking. I spent 4 hours cleaning all of the oil and grim off of the engine before reassembly. Did an oil change on it as well and back to riding it. I forgot how much fun that bike was. I used the sticky
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...your-xbr-motor
    on how to remove the frame from the engine and it helped out so much. Couldn't have done it without this site.

Glad you worked it out.
    Good luck with the bike.

Nice job!

And boy am I glad that sticky is there in case I need to do this.
    Last edited by spymac; 09-14-2017 at 04:24 AM.

The one thing in there that I did that wasn't mentioned is to remove the rear exhaust O2 sensor with a 7/8 inch crows foot. It makes lifting the frame off of the bike so much easier with that extra clearance. You can get to it after you remove the electric fan.