Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road trip!

Road trip!

So first off I'm a senior in high school and have a 2002 x1 lightning. I'm gonna be taking a road trip with the bike this summer and would like some suggestions on things for the bike. Anything would be helpful.

First off, congratulations on having the privilege to own such a fine piece of machinery. I suggest getting a service manual right away. This will answer most of questions. Check to see what maintenance is instructed based off the milage of your x1. Main things to stay safe are good rubber on your tires. Signs of needing to replace tire -- dry rot, feathering of the rubber, squaring of apex like the part that touches the road is worn flat. Flush the brake fluid and replace. Check for worn pads. Make sure your battery has good voltage. Rear wheel bearings--do this when you replace tires unless your tire is new. If the bearings are bad, i.e. leaking grease, replace immediately for safety reasons and to prevent collateral damage to the wheel. New oil in both transmission and engine. Lube your cables. Adjust your clutch, primary chain, and rear brake. Check your drive belt for wear. Ride safe. You're a lucky person to have a bike in high school.......have fun, keep the shiny side up

have you found yourself some good luggage? Lots of fellas on here who have done some sizable trips on lightnings, hopefully they'll chime in on some bags that might work well on your X1. If you do all the checks listed above you shouldn't need much for the bike except a few hand tools and some extra fuses and relays maybe. Mechanic's wire, Zip ties and duct tape of course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplymichaeljr View Post
    First off, congratulations on having the privilege to own such a fine piece of machinery. I suggest getting a service manual right away. This will answer most of questions. Check to see what maintenance is instructed based off the milage of your x1. Main things to stay safe are good rubber on your tires. Signs of needing to replace tire -- dry rot, feathering of the rubber, squaring of apex like the part that touches the road is worn flat. Flush the brake fluid and replace. Check for worn pads. Make sure your battery has good voltage. Rear wheel bearings--do this when you replace tires unless your tire is new. If the bearings are bad, i.e. leaking grease, replace immediately for safety reasons and to prevent collateral damage to the wheel. New oil in both transmission and engine. Lube your cables. Adjust your clutch, primary chain, and rear brake. Check your drive belt for wear. Ride safe. You're a lucky person to have a bike in high school.......have fun, keep the shiny side up
    Okay. So here's what I've done so far. I just put tire on it yesterday, did an oil change last week, i did fork seals about a week ago, spark plugs, am about to do rocker box gaskets when they come in, what oil goes in the primary? Ill probably order some wheel bearings here soon now that you mention it. I need to put pads on it just haven't ordered them. I downloaded a service manual online but don't have a hard copy. The bike has 13500 on it so not to bad. I would like a new air filter and breather system any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    have you found yourself some good luggage? Lots of fellas on here who have done some sizable trips on lightnings, hopefully they'll chime in on some bags that might work well on your X1. If you do all the checks listed above you shouldn't need much for the bike except a few hand tools and some extra fuses and relays maybe. Mechanic's wire, Zip ties and duct tape of course!!!
    That was one of my big concerns. There's no room!!!! So ya some suggestions on a bag would be

How long of a trip are you taking?

Check out the Iron Butt Rally website. They have a huge amount of tips for doing long trips from some seriously hard core long distance riders.
    Good luck, have fun.

Wayne

And less is more.

Don't forget that in this great country (I assume you're in 'Murica), you can buy what you need... anywhere... cheaply.

You'll be wearing the bike gear, when you runout of clean undies and tee's, go to war-mart and buy clean ones. It's the most wasteful thing I do but BIKE TRIP!
    Carry a few good quality protein bars and a camelback or 3 liters of water, first aid...

Oh NO! Thread de-rail!! Sorry Ginger.

Sounds like you have the basics done and then some... Do a normal safety check and replace what won't last the milage your riding. No worries, she'll love the trip! Either something breaks, or it doesn't. A couple thousand miles isn't much in the long run. Carry spares of small stuff but be prepared to revzilla or amazon prime anything that breaks that you can't carry. A credit card is much lighter and smaller than a belt you didn't need. Besides every break down is a story (people or machines)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    And less is more.

Don't forget that in this great country (I assume you're in 'Murica), you can buy what you need... anywhere... cheaply.

You'll be wearing the bike gear, when you runout of clean undies and tee's, go to war-mart and buy clean ones. It's the most wasteful thing I do but BIKE TRIP!
    Carry a few good quality protein bars and a camelback or 3 liters of water, first aid...

Oh NO! Thread de-rail!! Sorry Ginger.

Sounds like you have the basics done and then some... Do a normal safety check and replace what won't last the milage your riding. No worries, she'll love the trip! Either something breaks, or it doesn't. A couple thousand miles isn't much in the long run. Carry spares of small stuff but be prepared to revzilla or amazon prime anything that breaks that you can't carry. A credit card is much lighter and smaller than a belt you didn't need. Besides every break down is a story (people or machines)
    Well. That's not to bad of an idea you got goin there haha.
    But the trip is going to consist of a 1000 ish mile first leg where ill be spending some time with my mom. Then I'm going to be heading to my grandpas in TN, another 2700 miles in the other direction haha.
    My bike runs at about 4k going down the interstate and that just seems high to me and worried me, so I was concerned (being 100% honest here) with the bike blowing up on me.
    I am a certified tech so I'm not worried about doing repairs on the road just a lot of miles and it scares me a bit because I haven't taken this bike on any long trips so just nervous.
    Is it normal for these bike o run at 4k like that?

I've never owned a tuber, but I have an xb and 1125, and I can tell you that for those bikes that's perfect. I hear the revs are a little lower for tubers but you're fine. Nothing to be worried about at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast