Thread: Speedo, tacho and clusters not working

Speedo, tacho and clusters not working

Hi I hope sombody can help me with a problem with my 03 XB9S.

Speedometer, tachometer, tail light and nothing in the cluster is working exept for the the hi-beam light. And the needels do not swipe when i turn on the ignition. I did find the accessories fuse blown, and when i replaced it everything started to work when i turned on the ignition.

When i tryed the ignition one more time, the acc fuse broke again. I found some chafing on the wires to the turn signals, so i removed the turn signals and the wires and replaced the blown fuse again hoping this would be the root cause.
    When i turnd the ignition on again it was back to start again with the same problems.
    But I find it confusing that the accessories fuse is now good even if nothing is working.

Any suggestions to what it could be?

I think that the fuel pump may be fed from that same branch of the electrical system. I think you can get in there and unplug the fuel pump (or maybe just pull the relay?) to see if that prevents the fuse from popping.

First insure that you have a perfectly healthy battery. Have it tested or test it yourself to make sure it is good.
    Also, Check that the battery fuse isn't having any issues.
    Then make sure your battery connections are 100% sound.
    Next I would check that the grounds are all in good order.
    If all of the above are good to go I would check the headlight wiring/connecter under the front flyscreen and the grounds for those connections which should be found near the headtube/steering stem of the bike.
    After you determine all that to be good to go I would start moving the relays around or just replace them. They're just a few bucks and can be found at your local AutoParts store.
    Check all the simple stuff first.
    Good luck