Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tell me why someone would do this?

thanks squid, i was wondering about the master cylinder swap being necessary. i'll let you know on that bracket, so far i know i have one coming for an '05 (so im a step ahead on the 04+ swap, ordered before i knew they are indeed different) and a seller has just accepted my offer for $30 on what they claim to be an '03 assembly.

DSC_0377.jpgDSC_0378.jpg
    i know Squid has an image comparing the two on the link he posted, here are a couple more comparisons for anyone in the future (2003 being the shorter one). when i get everything back together this weekend, i may take a picture of what the incorrect idler arm looks like on the bike (if it will even fit)

thanks for following up!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    inspect the pulley surface. it is coated with a silica nitride hardening agent.
    How on Earth do you learn these things? Is that in the manual somewhere? Or is that a common hardening process for belt pulleys on vehicles?

Banned
    Same thing as for chain sprockets.

I always assumed something like chain sprockets would just be case hardened

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    How on Earth do you learn these things? Is that in the manual somewhere? Or is that a common hardening process for belt pulleys on vehicles?

without mentioning names.....former buell/ebr lead engineer is a casual friend of mine. we speak several times a year. when something perplexes me as in.....do you use the factory rotor tension springs when installing an ebr brake rotor hardware replacement kit..........or......that belt idler pulley has some sort of high-tech coating on it and i wonder what it might be.....i call him and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    without mentioning names.....former buell/ebr lead engineer is a casual friend of mine. we speak several times a year. when something perplexes me as in.....do you use the factory rotor tension springs when installing an ebr brake rotor hardware replacement kit..........or......that belt idler pulley has some sort of high-tech coating on it and i wonder what it might be.....i call him and ask.
    Very cool. You really are the guy to ask then, since you have the inside scoop. With the cool innovative ideas I see in these bikes, I have a lot of respect for the Buell engineers. Now if only they could find the right guy to manage the company to keep it afloat!

Inactive
    Very cool. You really are the guy to ask then, since you have the inside scoop.

not so much an inside scoop my friend....i'm just around these bikes everyday either selling parts or working on them. believe me.....this board hosts a ton of brilliant, highly knowledgeable long-time buell owners and mechanics who possess a phenomenal wealth of information. if you own a buell this is THE site IMO for everything you need to know.

Oh I'm sure of it. The amount of information on this site is amazing and such a valuable resource. I tried badweatherbikers, and I'm sure they have lots of info too but I can't stand the layout and interface of their site. I'll be sure to give you a shout once I get around to working on that clutch cable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast