Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong heat range in 1 spark plug

Quote Originally Posted by nickdylan92 View Post
    Pretty sure iridiums don't have to be gapped, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer's specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium, be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The NGK plugs do NOT come with the correct gap and need to be gapped to .035 for the Buell. You can pick up a tool at your local hardware store, just be careful. Or just pick up some OEM plugs which are gapped spot on right out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Im sure he means the Buells that have been through his possession. Im sure they usually come in with oem plugs which he replaces with the NGK 9's that he has recommended on multiple threads.

His may not use the scientific method in order to rule out all other possibilities as to which plug is best. But I think his method for determining which plug misfires less is more accurate than yours.
    O, ok, I was just asking because I actually thought that we were getting scientific when we started speaking in certainties.... lol something to consider I guess...

Inactive
    Pfew, thanks for the replies guys.. Thats what I wanted to hear, that it couldn't of harmed my engine.

my attempt to save you $ as well as time and avoid incredible frustration here. i'll note that spark plugs and gapping of same have been discussed to death on here for time inmemorium.
    THIS IS SIMPLE-we are NOT sending Armstrong....Collins....and Aldrin back to the moon here. click the link below....go to page #3...scroll down to my post. is everything you need to know about iridium plugs and the gapping of same.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...276#post584276

Pfew, thanks for the replies guys.. Thats what I wanted to hear, that it couldn't of harmed my engine.

Let me just give you another piece of advice too Nick. If you don't know what you are doing please do not attempt anymore DIY jobs on your motorcycle because there are actually things that can go wrong in a spark plug install that will put your bike out of commission.

Well??? HOW THE HELL IS HE, OR ANYONE ELSE GOING TO LEARN iF HE DOESN'T TRY ! I mean common, everyone makes mistakes, that's probably why many of us started wrenching.

I will say, always double check the printed torque numbers as some have been WRONG ! Attempt to do your searches first, then come here for help ( I'm not saying you didn't do this ).
    Grego's recommendations are sound but, that doesn't mean there isn't something out there that has been found to be better or easier, as in the iridium does not have to be replaced as often or, many reports of a little better performance.

Good luck, let's u as know what how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Well??? HOW THE HELL IS HE, OR ANYONE ELSE GOING TO LEARN iF HE DOESN'T TRY ! I mean common, everyone makes mistakes, that's probably why many of us started wrenching.

I will say, always double check the printed torque numbers as some have been WRONG ! Attempt to do your searches first, then come here for help ( I'm not saying you didn't do this ).
    Grego's recommendations are sound but, that doesn't mean there isn't something out there that has been found to be better or easier, as in the iridium does not have to be replaced as often or, many reports of a little better performance.

Good luck, let's u as know what how you make out.
    The first reply in his thread instructed him to gap the NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Let me just give you another piece of advice too Nick. If you don't know what you are doing please do not attempt anymore DIY jobs on your motorcycle because there are actually things that can go wrong in a spark plug install that will put your bike out of commission.
    @GregoXB Jeese louise, being it my first time on these plugs and being quite new to the Buell / H-D engines and forums doesn't mean I don't know / or can't do anything. I read a lot of times that these plugs don't need to be gapped because they are pre gapped. So yes, I could of done some more research on that, I'm sorry. And normally one heat difference in a sparkplug isn't that much of a problem, I know that too. But hey, these things are aircooled, listen quite cairfull to a crap load of different things then Japs I'm used to work on. Plus here in Holland these Buells seem to be made of gold and are waayy more expensive then in the states. Being 24 and a student doesn't make it much easier on affording these things, so all my money is in this American steel and I'm very proud of owning one.

So I thought asking this question in a way that I don't come over as some new wiseguy would be a good way.

But slow down on the whole if you don't know what you are doing then stop thing. Cause I've been working on bikes since I was 14. And no, I deffinatly don't know everything and I havent studied for any of it. Most of it I learnt from the internet and doing it myself. I made one of my own bike from stock to custom by doing everything myself but the pinstriping. Made my own wiring harness, Finetuned the carbs, replaced the crankshaft and rewelded a crap load on the frame.

Made it from this:

Into this:

So I'm sorry that sometimes I'm not so sure about things and post them on a forum to learn from.
    Last edited by nickdylan92; 04-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Nick, first off, great job onow that bike! Looks amazing! I wouldn't get too caught up in others saying you shouldn't do something based on a question you have. I have been wrenching like you pretty much my entire life on everything from tractors to cars, trucks, bikes, snowblowers, etc. And have been a jet engine mechanic for the past 12 years and this is the 1st time I have had a air-cooled engine as well. I am learning that these can be tricky and with you having a limited parts supply where you are would cause concern too, buying 1 plug and having it be the wrong one. Keep doing what you are doing. I have not had any formal mechanic schooling either. Ride safe!

2nd edit: well, technically the jet engines I work on are air/oil cooled as well. Still different. Lol
    Last edited by Mech-life; 04-14-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling and such. Still probably missed some

Hang in there Nick. It's a minor issue and you are doing all the right stuff to correct it.

I've learned a lot more from making mistakes than by getting lucky.

Nice bike BTW

@GregoXB Jeese louise, being it my first time on these plugs and being quite new to the Buell / H-D engines and forums doesn't mean I don't know / or can't do anything. I read a lot of times that these plugs don't need to be gapped because they are pre gapped. So yes, I could of done some more research on that, I'm sorry. And normally one heat difference in a sparkplug isn't that much of a problem, I know that too. But hey, these things are aircooled, listen quite cairfull to a crap load of different things then Japs I'm used to work on. Plus here in Holland these Buells seem to be made of gold and are waayy more expensive then in the states. Being 24 and a student doesn't make it much easier on affording these things, so all my money is in this American steel and I'm very proud of owning one.

So I thought asking this question in a way that I don't come over as some new wiseguy would be a good way.

But slow down on the whole if you don't know what you are doing then stop thing. Cause I've been working on bikes since I was 14. And no, I deffinatly don't know everything and I havent studied for any of it. Most of it I learnt from the internet and doing it myself. I made one of my own bike from stock to custom by doing everything myself but the pinstriping. Made my own wiring harness, Finetuned the carbs, replaced the crankshaft and rewelded a crap load on the frame.

Made it from this:

Into this:

So I'm sorry that sometimes I'm not so sure about things and post them on a forum to learn from.
    That's fine Nick, but you created a thread asking for advice.

Typing in "do NGK spark plugs need to be gapped" into google will give you the following result, directly from NGK's website:

A spark plugs Gap directly affects the tip temperature and the voltage necessary to fire the plug. NGK spark plugs traditionally leave the factory pre-gapped for their most popular application. However, a plug may fit hundreds of engines, from cars to golf carts. Gapping the plugs to your engine’s specifications is important to prevent pre-ignition, detonation, fouling and poor fuel economy.

I am fairly certain that if I had not told you to gap, you would not have even known...... so you're welcome. We are trying to give you good advice because we care about your motorcycle.....

That is usually why I recommend to people just to install the OEM Harley plugs because it eliminates several variables. The OEM plugs are the closest thing to plug and play and decrease the chances of the installer doing something wrong.

The NGK plugs are awesome but, IMHO, should be installed by people with intermediate to advance knowledge, as you can see, with aftermarket plugs you need to consider a few more variables like gap, depth, operating temp, etc. etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast