Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race it?

Race it?

Any Buell racers out there with the CR? What have you done to the bike? What do you recommend? Needs VS Wants?
    Add pics if you can, would love to see them!

Nitro

{puts hands together} "Please Lord above, I pray that the next question actually comes with even the slightest amount of information to help the generous web people answer this poor young souls question"

I'm going to assume the bike is brand new. 0 miles on it, so telling you to maintain it is dumb and answered all over this forum.
    I will assume you've raced before and have all the gear you need and a comprehensive list of what to take to the track.
    I will also assume it is 72*, clear and sunny at every track day you have.
    I will assume you mean 'Track days' and not literally "Race".
    I will assume this will be a track only bike and never used on the street.

They are great stock. Smooth first, then speed.
    Get really good slicks, and really good brake pads. Break in the tires and bed the pads before you hit turn 1!
    Flush your brake fluid often.
    Depending on your weight, plan on new fork oil if the adjustments are too far one way or the other.
    I really liked the EBR rotor upgrade, with the upgraded mounting hardware especially.
    Plan on getting passed at the back of the main straight, but it's really fun to get them all back through the next lap.
    I ran clubmans, but you can get clip-ons.
    Get pucks, axle sliders, and case sliders, then extra radiator outers. They slide really well in the dirt, and when they are protected your day isn't ruined.

So I just raced my 10,000 mile bike in 40* pouring rain on street tires. Had a blast! Looking forward to the next one. Gearing on the CR I thought was really aggressive coming out of the corners. Probably because of the ridiculous amounts of rain on DOT tires, but was wondering what gearing people are using for the track. Right now mines stock.

Anyone of bikes of their track bike? Would love to see what you've done to it.

If anyone out there is looking to sell race parts or bikes PM me. Thanks

Gearing? You can do a chain drive swap if you feel you need to mess with that.

Exactly what class are you running your CR in? And just a stupid question, why did you race in the rain on street tires? Why didn't you go out on race wets? Love to see pics of your CR as well, interested in seeing what you've done to prep it.

In Florida you never know what the day will bring, so I bring another stock set of wheels and run street tires in the rain because I'm way too cheap to buy another set of track only tires

I'm with ya Shaughn but we do track days, this dude said he races his and I've NEVER heard of any racer or know any racer that doesn't go out in the wet on strictly race wets. That's the only reason I was asking, race wets and street tires are waaaaaaaay different. Plus he said it was pouring which definitely would have justified race wet treads.

Ya, totally agree Wicked. I just assumed he meant a track day because he isn't asking questions any actual racer would ask...

Sometimes I prefer the rain The speeds go down so I get to concentrate on body position, fluidity, and also get used to the bike squirming around on corner exit. Buell torque FTW! There is a seriously sketchy stream that runs right down the apex of the hairpin (#10) at PBIR. THAT will teach ya to loosen up!
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-30-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Rain tires were def justified. Just didn't have any. 20 years of drag racing experience, but 0 road racing. It was my first day out there so we did the learners course to get my race license. So yes, racing it was a exaggerated. Basically just needed to not fall and was good. Still tho, had a great time.

The ACTUAL race will be in a few weeks. Will run it in Heavyweight supersport, and super twin. Should will have tires by then.

As far as prep goes. Standard stuff to a stock bike, with plenty to go. Barker Exhaust, EBR Race ECM, brake pads all around, and the needed safety stuff. Current pic doesn't show a whole lot since cosmetically its stock, but she's a work in progress.

Was really just hoping to see other peoples converted Buells to get some ideas. And to try to get a feel for how many Buells are out there at the track. There were 5 there this weekend including mine. Was cool to see.

Newb

Sorry it rejected my photo upload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast