Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my son his first motorcycle...

Got my son his first motorcycle...

Found a clean pw80 on Craigslist yesterday and 20170415_123849.jpgpicked it up for $300. It's an 86, runs pretty strong. My son is 9 (just turned) and has been asking for a bike for a year or so. Got him on it a couple times this morning and of course he's had 2 spills already... going to give him a bit to shake off the gitters before we try again.
    Any advice from you guys on teaching him would be great! I've never taught anyone to ride and like my dad I'm not the most patient or the best teacher lol!

Prop the bike up, so it can't fall, let your son get on the bike and with it off, let him play with the controls, brakes, front and rear, throttle, handlebars, with his eyes closed. This way he can build in some muscle memory.

So COOL! You have just caused your son to get a very expensive habit! haha. I remember many, many, many, many miles on a blue PW80...

Gear him up, let him fall off and don't make a big deal out of it. Let him explore the bike and figure it out on his own (don't helicopter him) Once he figures out he's not hurt, the world will open up to him.
    I'm anti-training wheels because it builds bad habits. I also firmly believe if you learn to ride a dirt bike in the dirt first it makes you a much better street rider.

Have fun!!

That is awesome, gear him up and gear him up well. Knee pads, elbow pads, you name it. Think about it, if he doesn't show blood or only feels minimal pain when he has a get off he will jump right back on most likely. Don't make it miserable for him, if he goes down run over make sure he is ok and tell him daddy crashed the same way when you were his age. You would probably let me repeatedly hit you upside your head with a wiffle ball bat if you had a helmet on because it wouldn't hurt, you surely wouldn't let me do it if you weren't wearing a lid. Make it fun and and not painful for him. Good luck and make sure the next machine you get him is a NSR50 and get him on the track. Have fun man......
    Last edited by wickedchop; 04-16-2017 at 09:28 PM.

I got my first bike at 7. Suzuki JR50. Loved it. Take him out whenever you can and gear him up. That's the cool part, you want to ride in style--and safely.

You might want to try riding it with him, At first you with the controls, Then him watching and learning from Dad and when he is ready he will tell you, off Dad. My son started on a Yamaha Big wheel 80.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-16-2017 at 09:20 PM.

All great thoughts guys thanks for the encouragement! Got him a second hand lid. Jeans and a sturdy jacket. Need to get some gloves and elbow pads on him.

@silverider: would like to try riding with him, but Robert is an extremely large 9 yr old lol. Big and stocky. So not enough room. Did take the 6yr old daughter around the yard with her in front, she was steering the bike and doing most the throttle work after 3 laps, so it is a great learning method.

I'll keep working with him, hopefully get some riding video this coming week!

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    All great thoughts guys thanks for the encouragement! Got him a second hand lid. Jeans and a sturdy jacket. Need to get some gloves and elbow pads on him.

@silverider: would like to try riding with him, but Robert is an extremely large 9 yr old lol. Big and stocky. So not enough room. Did take the 6yr old daughter around the yard with her in front, she was steering the bike and doing most the throttle work after 3 laps, so it is a great learning method.

I'll keep working with him, hopefully get some riding video this coming week!
    Now my same son is riding a KTM 530 in the dirt, and a Yam FZ10. Many many bikes in between those. Who would have known.

Picture 017.jpgPicture 066.jpg garrett .jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-16-2017 at 10:48 PM.

IMG_1895.jpgNice... I bought a crf70 for my sons 7th birthdayIMG_1941.jpg

First off GEAR.. it's cheap to find kids gear on Craigslist for less then $100 and trust me it give them all the extra confidence that they need, also the peace of mind that your not going to have to go to the hospital.

Now that you got the crashing out of the way. Your best bet is a open field or even a school playground. Parking lots work if your not worried about tires and he is not gun shy about falling on cement.

Each kid is different some like to learn in 1st others like to run 2nd gear. But first off circle left and rights then figure "8s"
    Then have them worry about changing gears ( why most kids like 2nd... bigger circles)

And explain to him that riding a dirt bike you know your going to fall off and crash. And that he needs to know how to crash to not hurt himself.. the other thing is have fun...

Next thing you know you will get calls from the neighbors about your kid doing wheelies down the street.
    Last edited by squidbuellie; 04-16-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbuellie View Post
    IMG_1895.jpgNice... I bought a crf70 for my sons 7th birthdayIMG_1941.jpg

First off GEAR.. it's cheap to find kids gear on Craigslist for less then $100 and trust me it give them all the extra confidence that they need, also the peace of mind that your not going to have to go to the hospital.

Now that you got the crashing out of the way. Your best bet is a open field or even a school playground. Parking lots work if your not worried about tires and he is not gun shy about falling on cement.

Each kid is different some like to learn in 1st others like to run 2nd gear. But first off circle left and rights then figure "8s"
    Then have them worry about changing gears ( why most kids like 2nd... bigger circles)

And explain to him that riding a dirt bike you know your going to fall off and crash. And that he needs to know how to crash to not hurt himself.. the other thing is have fun...

Next thing you know you will get calls from the neighbors about your kid doing wheelies down the street.
    Yes , He will be doing wheelies on your bike, in my case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast