Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running a bit rich

Running a bit rich

Okay I've been posting a lot lately because I'm trying to learn about these bikes haha.
    Okay, so I've got a 2002 buell x1 lightning. It has a forcewinder intake, race headers and muffler and I think that's it. It runs rich. I just went and grabbed some hoter plugs today because I recently did them and it didn't change much so I thought I would try that. Any other suggestions?

Why do you think it's running rich? With those mods and a stock carb, it should be running lean.
    A 'hotter' spark plug will have no effect on a bike running rich.
    If it truly is running rich, I suggest tuning the carb. Get a jet kit and if you want to be really trick, get a wide band o2 sensor set up.

i think '02 x1 is a fuelly cooter .DDFI 1 Generally (at least my bikes) seem quite rich at idle and start up. Fat is happy after all! You changed the plugs Ginger how did they look??? I'm sure you know super sooty to rich, super white to lean and ideally TAN. If it is rich maybe your old ass o2 sensor going down hill?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger25 View Post
    Okay I've been posting a lot lately because I'm trying to learn about these bikes haha.
    Okay, so I've got a 2002 buell x1 lightning. It has a forcewinder intake, race headers and muffler and I think that's it. It runs rich. I just went and grabbed some hoter plugs today because I recently did them and it didn't change much so I thought I would try that. Any other suggestions?
    several considerations here along with a few comments.....a few of which you won't like:
    1-you know very little about your buell. i would NOT throw any more parts at it until you establish a base-line of knowledge and information.
    2-your 2002 is an EFI bike. that changes everything.
    3-plug heat ranges have no bearing whatsoever on fueling or combustion ignition.
    4-your bike has been modded by either you or a PO. chances are excellent that the onboard ecm has also been modded or replaced with something "racier". you don't know which ultimately reinforces my opening comment.
    solution: purchase diagnostics hardware and companion gizmos to access your bikes' onboard ecm. check for fault codes, historical codes.....then either seek out a local expert or a tuber model ecm guru on this board, send that individual the visual maps from your ecm....and see if they are stock or modded.
    proceeding any further without following the steps i've outlined above for you a practice in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    several considerations here along with a few comments.....a few of which you won't like:
    1-you know very little about your buell. i would NOT throw any more parts at it until you establish a base-line of knowledge and information.
    2-your 2002 is an EFI bike. that changes everything.
    3-plug heat ranges have no bearing whatsoever on fueling or combustion ignition.
    4-your bike has been modded by either you or a PO. chances are excellent that the onboard ecm has also been modded or replaced with something "racier". you don't know which ultimately reinforces my opening comment.
    solution: purchase diagnostics hardware and companion gizmos to access your bikes' onboard ecm. check for fault codes, historical codes.....then either seek out a local expert or a tuber model ecm guru on this board, send that individual the visual maps from your ecm....and see if they are stock or modded.
    proceeding any further without following the steps i've outlined above for you a practice in futility.
    You right....i know hardly anything about this bike. That's why I am asking for help....what "diagnostic hardware" are you meaning. A scan tool? Or an ecm flash tool?
    This is why I'm asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    i think '02 x1 is a fuelly cooter .DDFI 1 Generally (at least my bikes) seem quite rich at idle and start up. Fat is happy after all! You changed the plugs Ginger how did they look??? I'm sure you know super sooty to rich, super white to lean and ideally TAN. If it is rich maybe your old ass o2 sensor going down hill?
    Plugs looked a little black but not to bad. My bike only has an o2 sensor or the back cylinder??? Is that normal?? But I can smell fuel as it's running and its not leaking I've checked everywhere. So I just jumped to the assumption that its a bit lean. I've heard bad things about the fuel injection on these bikes so, just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Why do you think it's running rich? With those mods and a stock carb, it should be running lean.
    A 'hotter' spark plug will have no effect on a bike running rich.
    If it truly is running rich, I suggest tuning the carb. Get a jet kit and if you want to be really trick, get a wide band o2 sensor set up.
    I can smell fuel while it's running and I know it's not leaking. My bike is fuel injected and has o2 sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger25 View Post
    Plugs looked a little black but not to bad. My bike only has an o2 sensor or the back cylinder??? Is that normal?? But I can smell fuel as it's running and its not leaking I've checked everywhere. So I just jumped to the assumption that its a bit lean. I've heard bad things about the fuel injection on these bikes so, just trying to learn.
    Yep just 1 o2. If the plugs were only slightly black you're not too rich.
    As for the fuel smell, do some research and make sure your vent is routed properly and your cap is sealing right.

Ahh, injected in 2002... learned something new today! Thanks Buelly
    I don't know much about the tubers specifically, but I do know the basics, and I can diagnose anything. Do what Lunatic said. Those are the starting steps to proper diagnosis. If you just jump around asking broad questions and throw parts at it, even getting lucky won't teach you how to fix the next inevitable problem.

Didn't we go over this before?

Do you actually have a problem? You didn't mention it running poorly, or starting poorly? This is an old bike with a early gen FI system, not a car with a catalytic convertor, It may just smell like that especially with a 'Race map' in the ECM.
    You did say you smell gas BUT over rich running and raw fuel leaking/venting smell completely different. Is the pipe really sooty?

A slightly black plug is ok. An O2 sensor in only the rear exhaust header is the same as the XB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ahh, injected in 2002... learned something new today! Thanks Buelly
    I don't know much about the tubers specifically, but I do know the basics, and I can diagnose anything. Do what Lunatic said. Those are the starting steps to proper diagnosis. If you just jump around asking broad questions and throw parts at it, even getting lucky won't teach you how to fix the next inevitable problem.

Didn't we go over this before?

Do you actually have a problem? You didn't mention it running poorly, or starting poorly? This is an old bike with a early gen FI system, not a car with a catalytic convertor, It may just smell like that especially with a 'Race map' in the ECM.
    You did say you smell gas BUT over rich running and raw fuel leaking/venting smell completely different. Is the pipe really sooty?

A slightly black plug is ok. An O2 sensor in only the rear exhaust header is the same as the XB's.
    Okay. Got a plan then.
    It runs fine, I'm probably just being paranoid.
    I just ordered a buelltooth dongle thing so I can find out if the p.o. did any kind of tuning.
    Oh...and ps, gotta love how you say "havnt we been over this before"����
    Should I load a race tune on the bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast