Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Buell XB9SX

2005 Buell XB9SX

There is a 2005 XB9SX that is for sale in my area. I have owned several bikes and have always been interested in a Buell. The ad says it is a solid runner and new battery. What else should I look for. I am wondering what the reliability is for this bike. Also cost of part replacement and ease of home maintenance and stock/aftermarket part availability. They want $2600 for it. Any info on what to ask or look for and maybe any points to get the price lower. Thanks for any help.

Inactive
    BUELL XB INFO STARTER KIT

1-the SX is a CityX....which is a city-cross.....which is a first year 984cc model only......which is fairly rare....which is desirable.
    2-look at the 4th and 5th VIN characters. if they read SX it is NOT a cityX model. if they read KX....it IS a cityX model.
    3-cityx has a many unique desirable parts on it including headlight grill, hand guards, X-badging, SX decals, crossed-braced handlebars. if those items are missing which they usually are....value substantially decreased.
    4-how many prior owners? how many miles accrued? how was it maintained and ridden? was it abused? does it presently have problems? has it been modified and if so who did the mods?
    your virginal post would in essence require a book of answers to properly respond to. the above info i've provided will get you started.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ especially #4.

I have exactly that one. It's the first with the fork from the Xb12 with the short wheelbase from the former models. It has no frame pucks. If it has, they normally hide some marks from falling.
    Can't say anything about the prize, but it seems fair to me. In Switzerland they cost far more.

You do not mention the millage;mine has passed 90'000km and the only bigger problem I've had, was the famous pinion from the oil pump. The teeth were scuffed and paper thin. I've replaced with the beryllium-type offered by Buell and have it checked since at every service, works great. This was with about 25'000km.

Had the rubber mount in front changed twice and tons of bearings on wheel, belt tensioner and steering head. Had to ditch it twice because of a broken belt and I do have a second exhaust. I've to clean and paint it every second year because it rusts like hell. I guess the next stop will be to change a hydrolifter.

I use my bike every day, rain or shine for work and according to my mechanic that's why it's still working. I do only replace if something is broken, means no customizing. I actually never had the money to spend with customizing. It's not that I'm averse to it: It just appears that this was faithful to the bikes life. Mods are made if the original solution does not match the needs. I've installed a belt tensioner from Free Spirits for example, but it didn't solve the problem not till I made a new tensioner pulley and changed the exposed ball bearings to a covered roller bearing.

At my mechanic's Garage there are four more Buells, all of them 12er. None has more miles, but all have more troubles. As I've heard stator problems occur if you run for long distances at high rpm, like on the autobahn.

I can recommend this model. It's not a cheap thing, you should not be chintzy. The bike needs a good hand and an experienced mechanic and normally you do not get this for free. The same applies for cheap oils and fuels. I've used Super plus fuel since I have it, not for better performance but to avoid sooting of the spark plugs.

Have the motor checked, especially the oil pump pinion, change all fluids, have the brakes checked and get a new battery.
    When the battery starts to get weak as it happens in October and November when temperatures are falling and the bike stands outside the whole day I use to attach it to a accu-jogger at night. That's probably why I'm on my second battery in 12 years.

I bought mine new from the dealer and broke it in thorougly. As the previous writers have outpointed jet: The type and number of prior owners is a crucial point.

I came from a Yamaha and in the beginning I was surprised how much care this bike needed. But I was even more surprised how much fun it was and still is to ride it.
    Last edited by Nopanicitsmechanic; 04-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Thank for all the input. I bought the bike for $2600. It has 24xxx miles on it and looks great. No issues. Serviced by Harley on a regular. Aftermarket exhaust and a few other items, but from my understanding, it has no engine mods. The Vin is 4MZKX12J753000434. If I am understanding you lunaticfringe, this is the rarer version? It also came with a huge box of extra stuff and the original exhaust, mirrors, grips, handle bars, bags, manual, and a bunch of other stuff. He even gave me a pretty nice riding jacket. I can post pics later.
    Last edited by mvswann; 04-25-2017 at 03:17 AM.

Sound like a great deal! Congrats

Best of luck with it, welcome aboard!

Inactive
    If I am understanding you lunaticfringe, this is the rarer version?

not precisely. i might have been a tad ambiguous with the model rarity. what i was saying to you was that the year you purchased is the 1st year for the cityX model. they were all xb9's meaning 984cc displacement. they have the transluscent body-work and all the other tasty goodies i listed for you. your VIN is correct for a cityX model. it was a fairly low amount of those models produced. your #434 indicates that it was produced early on during the 2005 model year run.
    IMPORTANT: this gets confusing! 4th and 5th VIN digits designate a true cityX model.....H-D/buell refer to it in brochures and most manuals as the SX model.....sales literature and some microfiche call it the cityX. when ordering any factory parts be certain they are listed to fit either the SX or the KX. example being cables....body work....emblems....hand guards and ancillary parts......all must be ordered specifically for the KX and KX model only.
    you bought a very nice machine at a very nice price. if you ride it sensibly, respect it, realize it is NOT some disposable "off-shore" POS , and that it is a 12 year old bike with 60 year old powerplant architecture....it will last 100,000 miles with normal maintenance and replenishment of perishables.
    abuse it.......hammer it.....wheelie and smoke-show it.....make every shift at redline.....and it will be headed to the local bike salvage yard in short order.

Listen to John....

You'll be glad you did!

And congrats :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    abuse it.......hammer it.....wheelie and smoke-show it.....make every shift at redline.....and it will be headed to the local bike salvage yard in short order.
    Haha! Sounds like the motorcycle equivalent of a noble viking death! You're on it today you Lunatic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast