Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Lightning Subframe + Tray. Not Uly or Ss long seat, but standard shorty

WTB Lightning Subframe + Tray. Not Uly or Ss long seat, but standard shorty

I have 12Ss long seat, want the standard sized seat. Swap potential if you want to exchange. Would really like to get all at once. Thanks!

Yeah, I know – It’s like posting a want ad for a unicorn. Had to try.

I'm starting to think a $2000 early lightning is worth it when looking for a $550 tail
    GL!

I'm sure you already know this but you will need to mod the top rail support-to-frame area or make adapters/spacers to bridge the gap to the frame, there was a cad file floating around that someone had already made and offered up for the rest of us to use. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mope View Post
    I'm starting to think a $2000 early lightning is worth it when looking for a $550 tail
    GL!
    Salvage search = failed. Up here in the NW, not much salvage motorcycle action. That was my first thought, but you're right I might just have to build two motorcycles: The one that I want, and the rest of the parts!

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    I'm sure you already know this but you will need to mod the top rail support-to-frame area or make adapters/spacers to bridge the gap to the frame, there was a cad file floating around that someone had already made and offered up for the rest of us to use. Good luck!
    Damn, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. I should be able to take the cad to a shop if I can find it.

Here you go http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...-a-Ss-XB12S1-2

whoops... that post references the adapter but the OP modded the rail to fit, looks like that post is 13 pages so the CAD file is probably posted in there somewhere. the user name comes up invalid for who he says made the adapter, maybe a typo. If you end up getting some made I'd like a set as well. I may do this someday but I'd like to have them in the toolbox for when that day comes. Good Luck!
    Last edited by lowkey; 04-25-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: more info

It may not be stronger, but sure seems like it'd be cleaner than the other route they took:

Quote Originally Posted by bajamxr77 View Post
    Wolf, Congrats! That looks awesome! I just got my rails back from the machine shop today (snapped this pic) and then they went off to paint! Should have them back Tue morning! Hoping to get everything back on the bike Wed. - will post pics when I am done. -Baja

Quote Originally Posted by ROOK View Post
    It may not be stronger, but sure seems like it'd be cleaner than the other route they took:
    So are you saying you would rather mod the rails like the picture or just make up the 5 millimeter adapters? If it was me I'd do the adapters because that looks like a whole lot of work for no reason... first to find someone who can weld cast aluminum properly then you have to put in prep work and then have them repainted=big money for the same outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    So are you saying you would rather mod the rails like the picture or just make up the 5 millimeter adapters? If it was me I'd do the adapters because that looks like a whole lot of work for no reason... first to find someone who can weld cast aluminum properly then you have to put in prep work and then have them repainted=big money for the same outcome.
    No it would be cleaner/easier to have the adapter. What would you do, thread the adapter or tap it with a smaller bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by ROOK View Post
    No it would be cleaner/easier to have the adapter. What would you do, thread the adapter or tap it with a smaller bolt?
    If you aren't planning to have them made up like in the link, It's going to be a challenge. The offset of the pins are so close I don't think it will allow bolts to be threaded in on either side. You may be able to step down the threads on the frame-to-adapter side threading a helicoil into the frame then a grub screw through the adapter into the helicoil, this may buy you space to tap the adapter to accept the stock bolt through the seat rail end of it.

EDIT:

I looked the pictures over again that were in that link, I don't think it is possible to tap the adapter, the holes would occupy to much of the same space. Only way is to have them made up like the other user did.

Last edited by lowkey; 04-28-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast