Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper clearance help

Caliper clearance help

Hello,
    Can anyone do me a favor and measure the clearance (or take a picture) between the buell caliper and the rim? I am putting a buell rim and caliper on another bike and the clearance seems pretty close but I do not know what the stock buell is.
    Thanks!

On a 2009 XB12r its about 46mm from the outside of the caliper to the rim.

And its only a couple mm from the spokes!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    And its only a couple mm from the spokes!
    Okay that's what i wasnt sure about. I have an 09 xb hero blue rim and damn the caliper is about 2-3mm from the spokes at the closest point.

I thought you might mean that. You'll see a relief cast in the backside of the caliper for spoke clearance when you need to remove it. It's close but being rigid mounted to the fork lower it won't be a problem unless you get catastrophic wheel bearing failure or loose caliper bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I thought you might mean that. You'll see a relief cast in the backside of the caliper for spoke clearance when you need to remove it. It's close but being rigid mounted to the fork lower it won't be a problem unless you get catastrophic wheel bearing failure or loose caliper bolts.
    its actually mounted off the axle with a 3/8 plate, kind of like a springer brake is, and the stock caliper mounting hole is the support so it doesnt rotate.

So I'm guessing you were asking for the front measurement and not the rear. My mistake.

Sorry I wasnt more clear. Talking about the front rim "spokes" to the caliper. If anyone can get a measurement on what the clearance actually is would be great. I don't want to be closer than stock.

I get about 3mm give or take .25 . Hard to get an exact measurement with the tools I have and such a tight space. Hopefully someone with the exact measurements will chime in if need be. Hope this helps.

You shouldn't be setting your caliper placement that way. The caliper should be centered on the rotor. As long as it does't hit the spokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast