Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current breather catch can options?

Question Current breather catch can options?

So I waited way too long to order ASB's catch can and can obviously no longer get that. Anyone around making one like theirs or something similar. I used the old NOS energy drink tube for mine when I did it. The tube is cracked now and as funny as it was to run it with that (and the questions about actually running spray on the bike) I'd like something cleaner looking on the bike like the one that ASB sold. And they don't sell those little NOS bottles like that anymore.

Show me what you got, or have found still lingering around out there. If anyone has an ASB style laying around collecting dust, I'd snag it from you also.

This was mine when it was still sparkly clean and new!

eBay go kart catch can...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Billet...nXB9HQ&vxp=mtr

Or do like I did and just let it be like nature designed it and eliminate the can altogether!

Considering the tiny (if any) amount of liquid that comes out, I use a 3" length of 3/8" fuel line with a plug at the bottom. Clean and invisible

Inactive
    an XB auxilary breather system with a "catch can" is ridiculous and completely unnecessary UNLESS your motor has an internal sealing problem which would consist of but not be limited to cracked piston/s.....worn valve guides....worn rings....out-of-round cylinders. a healthy motor will emit a negligible amount of froth from a breather hose. having said that if you decide to install the auxilary breather re-route.....which i personally think is a very good idea and do it to all of my XB's.....ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY vent the line. do NOT cap, pinch shut, or otherwise seal the end of the dedicated line. doing so can result in horrific problems in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Considering the tiny (if any) amount of liquid that comes out, I use a 3" length of 3/8" fuel line with a plug at the bottom. Clean and invisible
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY vent the line. do NOT cap, pinch shut, or otherwise seal the end of the dedicated line. doing so can result in horrific problems in short order.

Yeah Cooter, you make it sound like yours isn't venting in your description, hopefully that isn't the case or seals will be blown out from pressure.

EDIT:

Also I don't see it mentioned much on this forum but having the vent line routed to the front of the bike like the OP's picture causes condensation and the oil vapor solidifies to a milky substance from wind chill on the line. A better option is to route it around the rear of the bike and down to drain below the rider peg, keeping the line from wind chill and keeping the vapor in vapor form until it exits the line.
    Last edited by lowkey; 04-27-2017 at 01:42 AM.

It's a "breather" hose, so I didn't think it necessary to reiterate theres a vent/filter on the top of the hose. Plug the bottom because...well... gravity.

Overview: Route your breather hose wherever you prefer. Where it terminates, tee to the middle of a short length of 3/8" fuel line mounted vertically. The top should have a vent, and cap the bottom to reduce the mess of oil vapor condensing and dripping somewhere you don't want it.

Personally (and I didn't want to start another breather discussion) I remove the breathers from the airbox (plug the holes in the lower plate) and just add 1/8"pipe pneumatic mufflers as filters. If theres any oil vapor condensing, it just flows back to the valve cover from which it was spawned in the first place. Just like my women, cheap and easy...and invisible

Simply "T"ing the two lines into one and running a length of hose to vent to atmosphere is also a "breather" hose, and if capped ceases to be one any more. Since you didn't state any type of filter inline in your setup, I can't assume you have one. As you know there are a million ways to go about it and with the noob traffic so high these days someone is bound to T the line and cap it from not understanding, I myself have no filter inline as I think it's unneeded. Credit where it is due, your setup sounds like a good solution!

On my old XB9SX I used an old VW Bug style fuel filter as a breather filter, as you will get some pulsing back and forth.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....kJ0aAkqD8P8HAQ

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    an xb auxilary breather system with a "catch can" is ridiculous and completely unnecessary unless your motor has an internal sealing problem which would consist of but not be limited to cracked piston/s.....worn valve guides....worn rings....out-of-round cylinders. A healthy motor will emit a negligible amount of froth from a breather hose. Having said that if you decide to install the auxilary breather re-route.....which i personally think is a very good idea and do it to all of my xb's.....absolutely positively vent the line. Do not cap, pinch shut, or otherwise seal the end of the dedicated line. Doing so can result in horrific problems in short order.
    this is correct.

Banned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast