Thread: Wiring question : dummy Alarm LED

Smile Wiring question : dummy Alarm LED

Hi all,

On my XB12, I have a dummy alarm LED that I would like to be ON when the bike if OFF and OFF when the bike is ON.
    My questions are :

- How should I wire this ? (ideally with the wires close from the tacho/headlight area). I guess I would need to find an "inverted" switched wire.
    - Do I need a relay ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !!
    All best,
    Van
    Last edited by vanxb12; 05-03-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Sorry for my AWESOME paint skills, but in my opinion, this is how it should be wired.
    led.png

When you turn on the ignition, the parking light will have a + and the relay will open his switch, and therefor disconnection the LED.

Yeah, you need a normally closed relay. Which is qhat the diagram Marcel posted, in case you don't understand wiring schematics.

A standard automotive relay will work, as long as it has an 87a pin. It can have both 87 and 87a, and just use the 87a, but if you can find one with juat the 87a, that would be preferred. Then connect the 30 to power, 85 to ground, and 86 to an ignition source.

Last edited by AZmidget91; 05-03-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Hi Marcel,

Many thanks for your reply !
    I've made a wiring diagram based on yours, could you let me know if the connections are OK ?

DiagramLED.png

- Can you confirm there isn't a way where I'm not using a relay ?

Thank you, and have a great day !
    Van

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Yeah, you need a normally connected relay. Which is qhat the diagram Marcel posted, in case you don't understand wiring schematics.

A standard automotive relay will work, as long as it has an 87a pin. It can have both 87 and 87a, and just use the 87a, but if you can find one with juat the 87a, that would be preferred. Then connect the 30 to power, 85 to ground, and 86 to an ignition source.

Thank you AZmidget91 ! Looks like I'm in good track

That will turn it on only when your parking light is on. See my comment about the 87 vs 87a pin.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    That will turn it on only when your parking light is on. See my comment about the 87 vs 87a pin.
    AHH ! Sorry, OK so I need a Normally Closed relay (with the 87a pin).

PERFECT and THANK YOU !
    Van

I have thought about doing the same thing, but would want the LED to flash at a slow rate. Similar to what my car does.

Great info here!

Using a relay will work but it's a bit overkill to supply a LED (>200ma) with a 20/30 AMP relay that takes 500ma to power.

Instead of energizing a relay, you can wire a 'blinking' LED to battery (+) on the anode and an ignition (+) source on the cathode. You can find both of those circuits near the cluster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5mm-RED-...-/271957760990

What that does is supply the LED with (+) on both legs with the ignition on= no current = no light (It's a Light Emitting Diode so there won't be enough voltage bleeding to keep it running with the key off), but with the ignition off the ignition wire is now grounded (= a circuit now, and the LED will turn on/blink)

For the cost of one blinking LED (20¢ at radio shack) you have what you want.

Last edited by Cooter; 05-03-2017 at 11:16 PM.