Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me '08. Lots of codes and no power. Possible Fuel Pump. Please help.

New to me '08. Lots of codes and no power. Possible Fuel Pump. Please help.

Been away from Buells for a while since I sold my '05 Firebolt. I just picked up an '08 1125R with 35k on the clock. Don't know much about the history.

The bike starts and idles. Sometimes a little hard to start and smells a little rich. Codes displayed in DM are as follows, not sure which ones are current as the CEL stays off most of the time. It usually only stays on for a few seconds at a time.

U0001 - Comm Error
    P0628 - Fuel Pump Sys Err (I think from unplugging the FP while switched on.
    P0087 - Fuel Pressure Sys Err
    P0506 - IAC Sys Err (I've removed, cleaned, and verified that the IAC moves when switched on, missing intake hose)
    P0502 - V Speed Sys Err
    P2229 - Baro Sys Err

Fuel pressure with key on engine off is 550kpa, running it stays around 400kpa. It does not change up to 5k RPM. always at 400kpa. Fuel voltage while running is 2.8, F Adapt Fuel is 97.5, and R Adapt Fuel is 104.5

The bike has no low end power, not sure about over 6k RPM as I'm not willing to get out and try that right now. Battery is fully charged and when running the bike is putting out a steady 14v. I have also reset TPS and it reads 2-100 smoothly through the throttle stroke.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was told that when the guy I bought it from got it, it was running great, he took it to fill it up and after that it hasn't run right since. I've also drained the tank and put some fresh premium fuel in it from a busy gas station to eliminate a bad fuel possibility.

Do you know how long it was sleeping ? You might have clogged injectors, and fuel pump pre filters. You might want try running a high amount of injector cleaner through the system. I had a similar in a 08 SCG . Here is what I found. Mark it up to 7 yrs soaking in old gas on a parked bike. Smelled like varnish. pump3.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Do you know how long it was sleeping ? You might have clogged injectors, and fuel pump pre filters. You might want try running a high amount of injector cleaner through the system. I had a similar in a 08 SCG . Here is what I found. Mark it up to 7 yrs soaking in old gas on a parked bike. Smelled like varnish. pump3.jpg
    No idea. Has lots of new gaskets though. Head and stator cover gaskets are bright green still. The guy I got it from only had it about a month. So I really have no idea on the history other than that. He needed money for a new ZX6R engine so sold this one to pay for it.

Like Cooter has said, Now that many uynknowns have messed with a bunch of stuff totally randomly, this will be harder than it need to be. The only way to find the problem is a systematic diagnosis.

In honor of Mr. Pirsigs recent passing, I shall paraphrase for you his quote from "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" that should change your life for the better, but only if you allow it too.

'If the answer to your diagnostic question in indeterminate (mu), you must broaden the question.'

I'd clear the codes on the computer and start over. Getting fresh gas in the system was a good move as well.

Anyhow, run it, and keep the code scanner ready to pull codes from the bike. I've found that some codes may not light the CEL, or just temporarily. I don't know what the criteria is for that.

After that, just go after the codes and keep an open mind.

When I bought my SS, it had about 8 codes in the ECM. There is a thread on the Lightning thread about my trials and tribulations to getting it all up and running smooth. Mainly, it was a lot of time reading codes, patience, forum advice, and some common sense.

Is there a way to clear the codes other than 50 restarts? I'm actually considering taking it up to HD and paying them to diagnose it. Whats that run? $100 bucks or so?

Quote Originally Posted by shabazz18 View Post
    Is there a way to clear the codes other than 50 restarts? I'm actually considering taking it up to HD and paying them to diagnose it. Whats that run? $100 bucks or so?
    If you have an android device on 4.2 or newer software or just buy a used one on Craigslist you can use ECMDroid which is free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ecmdroid&hl=en

You will need a bluetooth device to plug into diagnostic port of the bike. Cole (Azmidget) on this forum sells them for $69. With this tool you can clear codes as well as do a bunch of other things like monitor sensor data, datalog, TPS reset, and change maps.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    If you have an android device on 4.2 or newer software or just buy a used one on Craigslist you can use ECMDroid which is free. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ecmdroid&hl=en

You will need a bluetooth device to plug into diagnostic port of the bike. Cole (Azmidget) on this forum sells them for $69. With this tool you can clear codes as well as do a bunch of other things like monitor sensor data, datalog, TPS reset, and change maps.
    Just ordered a BT reader. So guess I'll wait till it shows up and go from there.

Cleared codes and only thing that came back was IAC. Pulled the plugs and they look pretty bad. The threads are also covered in grease of some sort. Anti seize maybe? Kinda looks like it makes for a ****ty ground to me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1YhNJ

I used anti-seize every time for years without problems. On a particularly high boost Subaru of mine I was having trouble on the dyno, so the tuner asked about anti seize being used and suggested we pull the plugs and clean it off and the missfire went away at the high boost/ high RPM levels. That is the only case I have ever seen and I can't imagine it happening on the relatively low compression and naturally aspirated HD engine. But, it has happened. And if the PO used some other substance for anti seize that could well be a cause.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast