Thread: Clutch wont disengage with motor running

Clutch wont disengage with motor running

I have 2003 Blast. Everything is stock. I recently purchased it from a friend to learn on. It has been at least 3 peoples learning bike.

I was riding and everything seemed fine, but after a few minute it feel like the clutch is always engaged 75% of the time. I am able to go up to 10mph, but thats it. At a stop, motor running, i can squeeze the clutch and the motor wont die. Also, with the motor off in first, i cant roll it, squeeze the clutch and i can roll it. I am thinking it might be the throwout bearing, but wanted feed back before i tore the transmission apart.

Also, probably unrelated, but i do have a minor oil leak coming from what i believe is the head gasket area. (All my engine knowledge is on cars, owned the bike less than a month)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Inactive
    your 2nd paragraph simply leaves me scratching my head. i'm gleening from this that you're learning to ride on this bike....that it was a "trainer bike" of sorts....that you have absolutely no experience working on H-D small or big twins? is this correct?
    never owned or wrenched on a blast BUT the clutch system basics should mirror an XB model which mirrors an H-D sportster. i mention this because i could offer you a shopping list of potential culprits and the checks/adjustments/repairs for same but thinking might be out of your wheel-house. having said that i'd suggest you either seek out a local sportster guru who will know the basics of buell blast clutch adjustments and checks.....OR....purchase/download a blast service manual. go to clutch pack/primary drive chain/clutch cable adjustment section and commence.
    bottom line is that you either have a clutch pack....clutch cable...primary drive chain wildly out of adjustment....or a failing/broken component such as inner primary cover actuator floor or terminal clutch pack components.

Lunaticfringe, Thank you. I have the service guide and i plan on pulling the transmission apart this evening to see what i find

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
    Lunaticfringe, Thank you. I have the service guide and i plan on pulling the transmission apart this evening to see what i find
    my pleasure as always. doubt you're planning on "pulling the transmission apart this evening" as that involves removing entire lump from bike, removing all exterior motor components and then splitting the cases. THE largest job on any buell.
    start with my suggestions of clutch cable....clutch pack....primary chain adjustment....primary fluid change.....then see what you have.

At a stop, motor running, i can squeeze the clutch and the motor wont die.
    It's not supposed to die when you squeeze the lever.

Also, with the motor off in first, i cant roll it, squeeze the clutch and i can roll it.
    That's how it should work.

It sounds like you're treating the clutch as if it operated opposite the way it's supposed to.

Pull the lever to the handle (squeeze it) to disengage the engine from the transmission. Let out the clutch lever to engage them and move forward.

Your oil leak is likely your rocker box gasket. Ignore it for now.

Last edited by jetlee; 05-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.