Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan after turnoff

AZ is one of those ECM gurus I mentioned.
    I'd follow his advice.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    That is incorrect, that is stock for 09. Buell/EBR changed to that fan logic in 09. I would turn off the speed based fan control.

correct as usual cole. that 2008-2010 fan logic is annoying as hell. and with RSS installed the "fan activation at speed" becomes a moot point. guy who initiated this thread ended it with "i'm not going to worry about it" so, as usual, our recommendations will fall on deaf ears.

No, don't worry, recommendations will be listened to. Just wasn't going to worry about it too much, because as Cooter said, just let it do its thing. I'll be deactivating the speed based fan control today, and definitely looking for a RSS. Thank you for the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MTech14 View Post
    No, don't worry, recommendations will be listened to. Just wasn't going to worry about it too much, because as Cooter said, just let it do its thing. I'll be deactivating the speed based fan control today, and definitely looking for a RSS. Thank you for the info everyone!
    Here is the one I installed on my 06 Uly, and it did reduce fan on time, by lowering the head temp, But what really made a difference was running a race ECM.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1907-1AK-Bu...UAAOSwa39UyTr6

Here are some interesting #s to share with the group.

OK ... got some numbers ... 85 degrees outside ... 7 mile ride around my neighborhood. Last 1 mile was 50MPH of open air before shutting off bike and taking temps.

NO SCOOP:

Right Side Front Cylinder: 263
    Left Side Front Cylinder: 260
    Right Side Rear Cylinder: 288
    Left Side Rear Cylinder: 270

Fan Came on when stopped. Fan turned off with Right Side Rear Cylinder at 265.

R. Crins RSS installed:

Right Side Front Cylinder: 271
    Left Side Front Cylinder: 270
    Right Side Rear Cylinder: 276
    Left Side Rear Cylinder: 270

Fan Came on when stopped. Fan turned off with Right Side Rear Cylinder at 265.

Note:

Bike was warmed up about minute before riding with no scoop. I also had more stop and go traffic the no scoop ride ... got caught at several lights.

I put RSS on and then took the ride so bike was warm. However, I only stopped at one light on this ride ... rest was 3-4000 RPM ...

Riding aggressiveness was same on both trips.

All temps take with IR thermometer pointed at cooling fins at the highest point visible on the cylinder.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-11-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    This simple test makes it seem like RSS is not worth it .... this is not what I expected. Also not sure why but front Cylinder actually ran warmer with scoop installed.
    The RSS didn't come in a "cooler engine temperature kit" It came in the "rider comfort kit" air cooled engines are designed to be in the open air, or have a tightly fitting shroud. The RSS really just keeps the heat off your leg, and directs it towards the engine.

Banned
    It also maintains better look.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    The RSS didn't come in a "cooler engine temperature kit" It came in the "rider comfort kit" air cooled engines are designed to be in the open air, or have a tightly fitting shroud. The RSS really just keeps the heat off your leg, and directs it towards the engine.
    Thank you AZmidget , I was in a hurry and posted the wrong kit ,
    And for the record the test was not my doing found it on the net, I have always installed the kit on my XBs just for piece of mind if any thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1907-1AK-Bu...UAAOSwa39UyTr6
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.

So what you posted is not from first hand personal experience???? How much other "information" are you simply doing a copy and paste job on? Do everyone a favor and let us know when you're doing that and what your source is. That way the info you post can be ligitamized, investigates, researched... whatever you want to call it.

I will say this much about this whole fan related post, my fan does not run as much as it did prior to me installing the right side scoop from the buell comfort kit. Take that for what it's worth. That's my personal experience having owned the same heep of buell for over ten years. 5 of those years were without the RSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    So what you posted is not from first hand personal experience???? How much other "information" are you simply doing a copy and paste job on? Do everyone a favor and let us know when you're doing that and what your source is. That way the info you post can be ligitamized, investigates, researched... whatever you want to call it.

I will say this much about this whole fan related post, my fan does not run as much as it did prior to me installing the right side scoop from the buell comfort kit. Take that for what it's worth. That's my personal experience having owned the same heep of buell for over ten years. 5 of those years were without the RSS.

I'm pretty positive AZMidget runs the RSS. I would have heckled him, if I wouldnt have seen it on his bike.... and his bike is pretty damn dialed!

I'd never run an XB without the RSS, but every one I've owned did not come with one from the previous owner. And I'm assuming these bike probably lived in AZ all of their lives (some potentially for 10+ years). So, it probably doesnt hurt the bike without the RSS, but I'd rather spend the $$$ and buy a few degrees of heat away from the motor and my right leg (I also get the heat shield).

I do agree with you, about the fan being less active with the RSS in place. Maybe its placebo, but it sure seems like it doesnt run as much, especially at shutdown.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post

Chicknstripin, For what it is worth, pretty much all I have shared with the board is from first hand, from owning and living with bikes for over 45 years of working on all my bikes myself, could not afford to take them to the shop. I am a hands on bike owner. I dont understand why I am defending my self, LOL If you would like pm me ,That goes for any board member , I will tell you my life story with all my bikes that I have rebuilt and owned starting with my 1963 Greeves Griffin 250 , 2 cycle with a leading link front end my first dirt bike.. I enjoy bike talk!!

Last edited by Silverrider; 05-12-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast