Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XB12SS too tall for me ?

Inactive
    a 1203cc motorcycle in ANY flavor as a first bike is a horrible decision bordering on a death-wish.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    a 1203cc motorcycle in ANY flavor as a first bike is a horrible decision bordering on a death-wish.
    Neh it'll be fine! Darwin!

Banned
    I am 5'6 too and XB12Scg fits me perfectly, I would not go any taller than Scg. This is my first motorcycle, I even did not drive car or any kind of vehicle before this Buell, and I feel XB12 is good for beginner, especially Scg with low center of gravity location.

I'm 5'7"and ride a uly. No one on here would recommend that combo to anyone on this forum, so you might have to decide for yourself OP. As for a xb12 as a starter, a 400lb high torque bike takes discipline to ride, period. He might do fine... still no one on this forum is going to recommend a 12 for a first ever bike

Okay cool, I'm definitely getting a lot of good recommendations which is nice. Thank you guys. In response to lowkey I'm currently in the USN and they require the MSF safety courses which is nice. I did get the opportunity to go through one so far and another in a month or two for sport bikes specifically. However, I think that maybe reconsidering could be beneficial to me based off of y'alls advice etc.

I am 5'11" with a long inseam and the SS is just the right height for me, even an inch taller would be too high for me. I would recommend the XB9 as a first bike. The XB12s or scg would fit you best, it is a bit more bike, but IMHO, as long as you can control yourself, you can get it as a first bike....

You're on the right track then! MSF is invaluable way to start. You know what to expect out of a more powerful motorcycle once you have finished and can decide if you can manage it or not. Honestly though ride a 9 and a 12 before making the decision. I've got a 12STT and held on to a 9S for months for a friend. Around town and in the canyons there is no denying the I enjoyed the 9's size and engine delivery more. I wouldn't want to ride it long distance (multi state trips) like I do on my STT though. If my engine ever goes, I'll probably replace it with a late model 9 if I can. With your shorter stature I have a feeling you will be "right at home" on the smaller framed bikes.

Get. Good. Gear. ATGATT. First. Yes, it's expensive. If a $50 helmet is the limit of your budget, save up and get good gear before you spend all your money on a bike.

Your first bike should be a small used dirt bike. You'll learn a clutch, and get used to the tires slipping, the movement of the chassis, and avoiding obstacles. They fall over and are easy to pick up. Once you can comfortably and confidently hop on it and enjoy yourself, move on. Even get a bigger one if you like it that much!

Your second bike should be a ugly, used, 125cc scooter. You can learn all the habits and rules of the road without a heavy bike, power, or a clutch. It's hard to kill yourself on a scooter, but other motorists will certainly try. At this stage, you aren't learning the bike, you're learning the road. Find good roads, see how people don't see you, get used to the hot, cold, windy, wet RxR crossings... Are you mentally a 'motorcyclist' yet?

Your third bike should be the cheap, small version of what you like. A sport bike would be a 500cc or so, a cruiser maybe 750cc. You can still flat foot the ground, have some fun, get on the freeway, but not enough power to kill yourself. You should know by now if you are a motorcyclist, or if it just sits in the garage and looks cool. If you are making excuses to take the car (it's too hot, it's too cold, it might rain...) then keep the bike and enjoy putting 1000 miles a year on it.

If you find you are making excuses too ride, like 'It might rain but whatever... it's too hot, but I'll wear my summer gear' then congrats!You are a motorcyclist! Go get an XB-12Scg. It will still scare you, it will try to kill you, but you will now have the skill set to save yourself. Sorry, but the moto learners course doesn't teach that. Track days teach that

First, thanks for serving in the Navy. I'm a 22 year Navy vet myself. I had to take the Motorcycle safety course years ago and while I grudgingly attended I actually learned a lot. It was worth it.
    I too believe that the SS is too tall for you. I have an SS, (as well as a Uly), and at 5'10" it's just about right. The Uly, which is a taller bike is almost too tall.
    I don't think you'd have problems riding at normal speeds with the SS, it's when you're at parking lot speeds and stop lights where the height will get to you. It sooo easy to tip over, especially with little round rocks or gravel when you put your foot down.
    Hope that helps, thanks for your service and keep the navy going strong.

Alright I believe you guys have answered my questions and given me much appreciated advice. Thank you for your service jl, you paved the way for us to do what we do. Thank you for the insight and I look forward to seeing you guys out there whether you catch me in my beater phase or when I have the Buell I truly desire. Be safe everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast