Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EBR 1190....yes or no???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    WTF is valve lash adjustment?
    Imagine you have to rotate the engine and tear apart motorcycle two-three times per year each time you change oil.

Quote Originally Posted by BambamXB12r View Post
    Any concerns with finding parts down the road? I really want one as well but don't know what it's going to be like a few years from now when EBR may or may not be open and I'm trying to find parts.
    I still get this question about my Buells too. Not just the EBR.

So you "need parts". Tires? Brakes? Fluids? Valve shims? Bearings? Every single maintenance part is available aftermarket, and all at the approximately same cost. So thats a non-issue.

Ok, so lets say you bought an EBR and your brother laughed at you and said 'you'll never find parts for that pos!' (your brother is a jerk...) so he spent $15-$19K on a comparable bike. S1000R, R-1, Panigale, Super Duke, etc.

You are riding years from now (and your kicking his butt on you EBR of course) and you both slide off a cliff and the bikes need MFG specific parts like forks, dash, plastics, headlight, a swingarm, etc... OH NO!!

Your brothers Ducati will cost how much to fix his old bike? To get the post-wrecked bike back in months? Heck! He's still making payments!! Your payments were done a long time ago. You pay the same $$ as his repairs and have:

another new EBR delivered to your door in a week. Go ahead pick a different color

AND you have a couple thousand dollars of spare parts to sell, or keep for your new EBR.

Catastrophic engine failure? No OEM engine from any of those dealers or race teams? No salvage yard engines? No eBay engines to find? Get another whole bike. You still spent less than any comparable sport bike, (and still have the EBR parts to sell from the old bike).

It seems like a win-win, Because it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Imagine you have to rotate the engine and tear apart motorcycle two-three times per year each time you change oil.
    Tpehak rides 18,000 miles a year on a sport bike, he's a bad ass lol

I haven't 'rotated' the EBR (yet), but I can do an 1125 in an afternoon. It's about the same time as it takes me to adjust almost any I-4 (with twice as many valves). I can not valve adjust any desmo Ducati that fast.

It would be super interesting to compare book time for a valve adjust on sport bikes 2014-2017. Anyone with a Mitchell on-demand?

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    Same thing that's been done on japanese bikes since the 60's. Valves must be shimmed to spec, .006-.009" intake and .009-.012" exhaust is an average. Intervals vary between manufacturer, some go as far out as 18k miles, EBR only 6k miles between checks.
    There really is something to be said about having a bike that is not that needy and cares more about what you want to do. Just makes me realize even more what a tragedy it is that the XBs are no longer around...

It's more a difference of a pushrod, hydraulic lifter (zero maintenance) system that turns only 6k RPM effectively, or an overhead cam engine that goes to 11...

Daily driver? Totally!! I look for zero maintenance and it will take a lot of abuse... But a hyper sport machine putting out 185Hp will need some love in the garage.

a lot of good points here. I am also looking at picking up a new EBR because they are a great deal indeed! I must admit that whilst I do love my XB very much, I can not ignore my desire to get another bike with more torque and more top end. Don't get me wrong, I will not consider selling my XB12 but I will add another machine that is capable of another level of performance.

...so that being said, I officially vote YES to the thread question. oh and since we all like to look at pictures, here are the latest set of bars mounted to my bike with 1" risers. I actually prefer these bars over the renthal streetfighters.
    20170514_164933.jpg20170514_165007.jpg

I picket up a new in box 1190RX and it is simply the most amazing bike I have ever ridden. It is similar to the air cooled Buells in many ways, yet so radically different when it comes to the drivetrain. Even with my XB12 modded with big bore/cams/heads/etc. seems slow by comparison to the EBR. The EBR isn't a replacement for the XB though, they complement each other very well, I find myself riding my XB as much as the EBR, owning both is the best solution!

I totally concur with Subarubrat. I've been swapping between the STT and the EBR rather frequently lately, and "Compliment each other" is the perfect description.

I was modding my XB yesterday (not like yours though!) to 4th gear wheels up and it feels and sounds super fast!

Got on the EBR today and went. Well, ummm, ya. Theres that

2017 Superbike Shootout Preview
    Seven superbikes soon sweetly singing in our biggest shootout of the year!

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...ootout-preview

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast