Thread: Slip on exhaust has Hi-temp silicone - Need help

Slip on exhaust has Hi-temp silicone - Need help

Hey guys, I received a FMF Apex carbon exhaust with my bike when I bought it, but it's CRAZY loud. I'm installing a few baffles but the last person to pack the pipe used gray gasket silicone between the caps. All rivets are removed, and all silicone that I can get to has also been removed. But the corners I can't fit a blade inside.

Any thoughts? Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was repairing the caulking around the windows of my 1963 Airstream, the only way to not have to drill out each rivot was to use a grapefruit knife, yes the kind used to cut the inside of the grapefruit after you cut it in half but, it had to be the real thin blade that was slightly curved at the end for my application.

Could you put fishing line through the split and down through the whole muffler to sort of 'saw' it apart?

How about a pick with a hooked tip to push through the split, turn to hook the bottom of the cap, and pull?

Don't underestimate the power of a long, hard, pull with just your hands either.

As a last resort, put some of the silicone you've already removed and see what cleaners you have dissolve it. Make sure those same cleaners don't harm the CF and soak the pipe in it. Even WD-40 can slick it up enough to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Could you put fishing line through the split and down through the whole muffler to sort of 'saw' it apart?

How about a pick with a hooked tip to push through the split, turn to hook the bottom of the cap, and pull?

Don't underestimate the power of a long, hard, pull with just your hands either.

As a last resort, put some of the silicone you've already removed and see what cleaners you have dissolve it. Make sure those same cleaners don't harm the CF and soak the pipe in it. Even WD-40 can slick it up enough to help.
    Piano wire used as cooter suggested the fishing line?

Yes, piano wire Much betta, thanks Buelly^^^^^^

If you have access to a compressor, you may want to try to tape up one end securely, and fit the air hose to the other. Maybe an old inner tube valve cut around the valve with a fairly big flap of rubber. Tape the rubber to the other opening, pull the schraeder valve and see if you can get a little "air assist". Be careful the other side doesnt go flying if this works too well. LOL.

If you don't have an inner tube, your local bike shop probably has a trash can full of them. Make sure not to get one full of sealant.