Thread: 2005 xb9sx "rotational noise"

2005 xb9sx "rotational noise"

My 2005 buell xb9 recently developed what I can only describe as a slight metal to metal rubbing sound that seems to happen every 4th engine rotation or so after a nice leisure (kidding) ride on the highway. I was having primary and clutch issues for quite some time, but the throwout and clutch drum bearing all seem to be pretty solid, and there's no metal or foreign objects in the primary oil. I'm going to remove the frictions in the next few days just to check, but I was curious what anyone else out there has discovered with such a noise. I found a YouTube video that sounds 100% identical so I'll add that in below. Thanks for the input and help, I just want to ride in this beautiful 88* New England weather.

https://youtu.be/lE-1zbiWIaI

Put a magnetic prob into your swingarm.
    If it comes out loaded with metal shavings you have an issue that requires you to start tearing apart the engine. If your engine oil is clean then your issue could be a collapsed lifter, loose header bolts, primary chain or chain adjustment shoe that is worn, or oil pump drive gear or any number of things.
    Check the engine oil for metal shavings; then report back.

Ride it really, really, hard... and the hot shiny stuff that comes out was the problem

JK, thats interesting. Try to narrow it down with the screwdriver in the ear trick?

IT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldnt help it!