Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan not running...hmmmmm!

Fan not running...hmmmmm!

So, I've been having some "running hot" issues with my bike lately. I know the fan works, as I can activate it through EcmDroid (when I can get it to connect).

Last night I went for a ride on the highway (about 30 miles), and once I came to a stop and shut it down, I noticed.... silence. Well, thats weird. My fan always ran upon shutdown (after getting to operating temp), even if just for a few moments. On the way back home, same thing once I got home. Turned the key off... no fan. I went inside to get my tablet, and ECMDroid still wont connect up.. so I wasn't able to do a test on the fan again. Anyways, the assumption is the fan is working (I'll see if I can test it again tonight).

With the the running hot issues, and the fan not turning on, I'm starting to give that rear head sensor a bit of the stink eye. Unless anyone else has some input?

I think you are on the right track. If you can get it to connect have a look at the fan trigger temps key on and key off. Check live data engine temp and start it cold, does it logically build temp? Take it for a decent ride and view the live temp data, should it be triggering the fan key off temp once you come back?

Good luck!

Start simple: check the fuse box to see if you have any blown fuses. Then check the wiring for the head temp sensor and the fan. You might have a blown fuse or a frayed wire causing your issue.
    www.buellmods.com if you need a service manual to assist you.

Why do you think it's running hot? Sputtering, lack of power, pinging, knocking? Or hot legs

The fan test only triggers the relay to start the fan, It isn't testing the sensor input.

Both Lowkey and Chicken are right. Datalog temps and see if the info is good. See if theres a sensor or wiring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Why do you think it's running hot? Sputtering, lack of power, pinging, knocking? Or hot legs

The fan test only triggers the relay to start the fan, It isn't testing the sensor input.

Both Lowkey and Chicken are right. Datalog temps and see if the info is good. See if theres a sensor or wiring issue.

I had hot legs waaay before I got this bike

Seriously though,

I have noticed hot legs on this bike for awhile, more so than my other XB's... and this one has the RSS and exhaust shield. It does like to ping under load as well. A couple of times after a ride, I noticed that fuel was coming out of the vent tube, and could swear I heard some faint bubbling/boiling in the tank. The fan was working back in those days, so I was less suspecting of the temp sensor, and leaning more towards a lean fuel map.

I had a feeling ECMDroid was just sending a "independent request" to the ECM to fire the fan. But, I want to reverify the fan is actually still functioning before going after the temp sensor.

Unfortunately, until I get my tablet to stay connected, datalogging is out. It especially doesnt like to connect when the bike is warm/hot.

I'll double check the fuse to make sure, and may just replace the temp sensor for good measure anyhow. Already have the service book, thanks!
    I got home late, and didn't feel like digging too deep into it after battling the tablet to connect.

A side note to this: I still need to check my static timing, as this could be part of my problem too. It appears ECMDroid won't read the cam sensor, but I read a thread on badweb, where they probed two ECM wires with a DVOM and watched for the +/- 5V reading on the DVOM.

Someone had been in there previous to me (cover was on crooked), and while its probably fine, I just want to make sure I'm not chasing my tail.

You can set you static timing manually.
    Put bike on rear wheel stand.
    Remove timing cover to expose CPS/timing plate
    Remove front spark plug
    Put transmission in 5th gear
    Remove timing inspection plug.
    Ensure you know exactly when front cylinder is at top dead center. This can be achieved by rotating the engine, via bumping the rear wheel forward until you see the timing mark dead center in the inspection hole. Now measure the distance from the top of the front piston to the top of the spark plug hole. Shortest possible distance when timing mark is centered is TDC.
    Now, once you've found top dead center rotated the engine wheel slightly backwards so that timing mark is just to the left of center.
    Turn key on, flip red run/kill switch to run.
    rotate engine/wheel forward until timing mark is centered.
    If timing is correct, the fuel pump will prime/kick on the second the timing mark is centered and front cylinder is at TDC
    IF this is not the case, loosen CPS plate hardware and advance or retard timing in minuscule encraments until this is achieved.
    I've set static time this way in the past and used ECMspy to verifly the process worked.
    Good luck.

I don't think you need to go changing anything just yet. PM me your email and I can help you out in the software department, what year XB? I helped someone on here perform static timing without software without a problem but I'm on my phone so I'll have to find that post later for you.

Also what dongle do you have that you are having trouble with? Seeing a lot of posts about this lately and I too keep dropping connection...

Thanks Chicken. Tonight, I'll make sure I bring a straw home. I've already done the "thread the CPS cover plate mod" so this should be pretty straightforward.

Lowkey, let me do Chickens method first. If I cant make it work, I'll hit you up. Thanks for the offer! 06 XB12SS, btw...

I'm kind of leery about flashing the ECM at this point, until I can make my tablet/dongle/ECM connection sound. The last thing I need is a half burned EEPROM and a bricked ECM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast