Thread: New XB12SS owner and damn glad to be back!

Cool New XB12SS owner and damn glad to be back!

Man, I've been all over the place with my bike purchases from a 75 Kaw 900 Z-1 to V-rods, Ducati streetfighter, Turbocharged Zx12R and without a bike since I sold my 2013 ZX14 about a year ago. I thought about all the bikes I've had, about 20 and figured this might be the last one so I wanted it to be the right one. After much thought I really kept coming back to my old 2006 Uly and had to admit it was probably the most fun bike I ever owned in almost 50 years of riding starting with a "Taco" mini-bike. Only thing I didn't love about the Uly was I had to tiptoe to put my feet down and I'm 6 foot tall so the Lightning SS looked like a perfect fit. Found a 2009 red one with about 8500 miles and no mods at all, even has all the reflectors on it. Drove a 1300 mile round trip in 2 days to Kansas from Nashville and picked this baby up. Now the fun starts, changed the oil & filter before I took a good ride, this morning was the good ride - WOW, I missed these bikes! Now the mods start, gotta have either a Drummer like my Uly or might consider a Torque Hammer, any opinions would be appreciated about these 2 pipes. Thanks!
    Last edited by ZDude; 05-18-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Welcome and good luck with the bike. Sorry can't help you with the opinion on the muffs.

Welcome! You are in the right place! I am an Ss and STT fan as well I look like a giant monkey on an Scg...

As almost every other aftermarket exhaust offers .0005% of the same performance, check Youtube for audio clips and see what they look and sound like. I've had a bunch and thought the Drummer was nice and thoaty. Dean Adams makes on heck of a pipe as well.

If you add a muffler (and probably K&N air filter) be sure to look for a 'race' or matching tune to feed the beast the proper fuel it needs. You will the result. It really wakes the stock bike up!

Personally, I went to Buelltooth.com and got a wireless Buelltooth dongle (about $45) and ECMDroid to load the proper map onto my ECM for free. Can't beat that!
    AZmidget on this forum make the dongles as well and can offer you maps and even a service to load them for you so you're well taken care of

I'm giving a definite nod to Kevin at KD Fab (Drummer). He has been awesome to work with, even if he does heckle me!

Welcome, ZDude! Congrats on the Ss! I have an 09 as well (Hero blue) and love it! I just finished changing out the exhaust to a Drummer SS and a matching IDS ecm. Love it. And +1 to working with Kevin...great guy. That said, Cooter is right that the performance will likely be pretty darn close whichever you choose...so just go with the look and sound that you like best. And, make sure to post some pics!

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome and the pipe recommendations. I had a Drummer on my 06 Uly with a race ecm and thought the sound and performance were very good. Also met Kevin back then at the racetrack in Murfreesboro, Tennessee while he was racing a bike, great dude so I have made my mind up with your help. Ordered an extended Zero Gravity windshield for some wind protection, a K&N to breath better and have been looking at Knight Design lowered pegs. Going to make it comfortable as possible so I can enjoy those 200 + mile days in the Tennessee "outback" and of course a trip to Deal's Gap which is obligatory if you own a Buell and live in the mid-south!

I'm pretty sure theres a set of those pegs in the for sale section here. If not, you can find them or the knock-offs on e-Bay. They are a good upgrade as well.