Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9R Won't Start

2003 XB9R Won't Start

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I just bought a 2003 XB9R (after wanting a Buell for years). It has some issues, but one has me stumped.

It frequently fails to start. I turn the key and the lights come on, gauge needles sweep, fuel pump primes. I hit the start button, and I just get a click from the relay box. After turning the key off and on a few times and tapping on the relay box, eventually it starts.

I'm pretty sure it's not the kill switch. I think it's the wiring between the relay box and the starter.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks!

Yep. Get a manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com. The are diagnosis charts and wiring diagrams in the back for that.

If it's clicking, you are right, it's not the kill switch. Could be a relay and they are easy to find by matching them up at an autoparts store. I'm sure our good friend Lunatic will be by shortly to copy/paste the relay info he's posted a million times but you are welcome to search the many posts and stickys to find it yourself.

I'm not much for improper diagnosis, but relays are cheap so if you want to throw that part at it lets hope youre lucky! Post up what you find and we'll go from there.

Inactive
    ^^^^^ roger that shaughn.^^^^^

here's your gremlins and fixes as follows:
    starter system works like this: starter button receives miniscule current from the headlight circuit....press the button and that current flows to your relay which is in your fusebox and marked appropriately....the relay "ups" the current amount and sends same to starter solenoid which ups the current amount even further and pulls direct current from its strongest source....the battery. that is the basic system functions.
    1-verify that your starter switch is functioning properly. your bike is 14 years old. i would disassemble the right side switchgear that houses the switch, check for corrosion, dirt, bugs....clean it up....reassemble.
    2-check that both battery cable ends at starter solenoid and ground point on frame are perfect.
    3-check that cables where they attach to battery terminals are pristine. must be squeaky clean and very tight. if not make appropriate repairs.
    4-replace the starter relay. it is 20 amp rated. it crosses over to many common chrysler and ford a/c relays.
    5-here's cross reference for all XB relays....which are all the same including yours.
    Duralast # 19389----around $7 retail
    Panasonic CM1-D-12V----around $4 retail

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The whisperer has spoken! Sorry John I had to.

^^^^^^ lol ^^^^^^
    IMG_5380.JPG

^^^^^^^^^

I have the same bike, same year and believe I had the same problem at one point. They are very sensitive to how much voltage they are getting and a low/bad battery or corroded ground or connection will make this happen. I have found that when it is this it will click rapidly, not just once.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe1 View Post
    ^^^^^^ lol ^^^^^^
    IMG_5380.JPG

for you stevie.....maude-lebowski-hes-a-good-man-and-thorough.jpg

Got it fixed - turned out to be a bunch of things. Bad connections at the relay box for one and three broken wires behind the headlight. Now it starts fine.

Thanks for the help!

I know this is a bit late, but my bike won't start either, but I'm going long before the clicking. It started there and now the fuel pump won't even prime. I put it on a charger and it's was showing 100%, disconnected the battery and cleaned and reconnected. Same thing. Just for the record...the run switch is on. I put the key in and turn to on position, no lights, no power...nothing. WYD? Please and thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast