Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After market exhaust

After market exhaust

Just put a new Jardine exhaust on my 2005 XB1200S because my stock exhaust fell apart internally after 70k miles. Problem is it now runs too lean I'm guessing because it back fires excessively. Do I need to install a EFI controller and adjust the fueling or is there a quick easy fix. Jardine tech says since it is just a slip on it should run fine, but it doesn't. Also I read somewhere that if the exhaust is modified you need to reset the adaptive fuel valves, how is that done?

Did you try doing a TPS reset ?

Start researching "how to" threads on ecmdriod and ECMspy. You'll need one of those software set ups to perform a TPS reset and perhaps reflash the ECM for the exhaust. I believe the buelltooth.com site will have the map for your set up. However, those maps are for use with ECMdriod.
    Anyway, I'm not an expert but your best bet is to do a bunch of research.
    You could buy a preprogrammed ECM or pay someone to reflash your ECM. You have options, just have to figure out which one is best for your needs.
    I will say this, I have a jardine on my xb12 with a buell race ECM and the decel pop is still there. It's not terrible but I'm pretty sure that with a jardine it takes quite a bit of work, time or money to curb this characteristic of the jardine pipe.
    Good luck

http://idspd.com/xcart/buell-xb12-04...rdine-ecm.html

Should take care of the tuning problem, although there are better exhaust systems out there.

I personally would go with the Droid/ECMspy route. its $40, and does the exact same thing as a $300 race ECM.

1) Buy the ECM from IDS. No fuss no muss, and it will be right. The R&R is 5 mins and you will be supporting a company that has been supporting Buells since the beginning.

2) Pay someone (about $100) to do it for you. Results are typically pretty good, but you'll need to send the stranger your ECM and wait to have them send it back.

3) Get a 'cable' (about $30) and ECMSpy (or tunerPro both about $50) and learn how to do it yourself. They are powerful, but complicated programs. Once learned they are a great way to modify and fix your bike, if that's your ilk.

4) Get the wireless Buelltooth dongle (about $40) and download ECMDroid (free). Find the ECM program (check their site?) for your firmware and Jardine and install it for free into your ECM. It is a simple program, it has built in safeties, and will help diagnose any future issues, so its good to have in your 'toolbox'. It's the way I do it and I'm not even that bright.

It all boils down to what your time is worth and how capable you are. If you just want to ride, then option #1 is for you. If you're cheap like me but capable and still like to tinker with stuff, option #4 is what I use. Please note half this forum seems to be filled with 'Help!!! I can't find a tuuuuunnnneeee'... so there's that

And all that is from a member that isn't too bright !

Any after market exhaust requires getting a matching ECM or re-tuning your stock ECM. If you fail to tune, your bike will run like poop.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    And all that is from a member that isn't too bright !
    He is bright enough to have a Buell , LOL

I installed the latest fuel maps from AZmidget for my Jardine setup and not a single decel pop... Starts better, runs better and sounds great.
    Cost me the price of a Buelltooth and the time to install ECMdroid.

https://www.buelltooth.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast