Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from KY

Hello from KY

Hi guys. My first sport bike was a TL1000R around 10 years ago. I sadly sold it after a few years and rode around on my 750 Shadow. I've missed the ol V-twin TLR since I sold it. Last year I got back into sport bikes with an '05 Yamaha R6. I really enjoyed that bike, but I ride a lot and it started putting a hurt on the back and wrists. My cousin/ride buddy knew I've always had a thing for naked Buells and he happened to know a guy with a Lightning that was looking to get back into a super sport. I rode an hour after work yesterday to check it out. We swapped bikes and rode around for 20-30 minutes. Needless to say we met back up today and I am now the proud owner of an '05 XB9sx. I can never leave well enough alone, so I do have a laundry list of plans. The pegs are mismatched, so I've already ordered an aftermarket replacement set. I'm not a big fan of this color blue. I would like a hero blue cover, but I'm not paying the $250 for it at the moment. I will probably paint the cover the same blue as the R6 (Ford Sonic Blue). I also plan to do the white wire and breather reroute asap. It does have a slight mechanical issue that popped up later today that I will address in another thread. But on with the pictures.

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.jpg

And the old R6

IMG_0305.jpg

I drove 4 hours to carter county Kentucky to look at that bike last week..
    The guy listed it as in tip top shape- said it might need a tire soon and brake pads- no leaks, fork seals were good etc.
    the rear rotors was trashed, leaky fork seals, leaking primary cover, badly bent handlebars, mismatched pegs with missing return springs, the rear tire had a nail and a plug in it it lol.
    I almost bought it but usually if a bike is neglected that bad mechanical problems are not far away.
    Overall​it was in rough shape so I passed.
    Last edited by knuckleduster271; 05-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.

You sure it's the same bike? Not to dispute, but Carter is over 2 hours away from where I picked it up, and the guy has had it for some time now. It does have the mismatched pegs, but aside from that none of those issues.

Inactive
    not sure what i'm looking at here but don't quite understand your comments on color changes. from the one pic it appears the bike has cityX cross-braced handlebars. they would be unique to the cityX which is an SX as you mentioned. if the VIN contains the sequence KX it is in fact a cityX. appears to have a kick-ash fly screen and a hero blue airbox cover. hence...you don't like the color but want to change to hero blue????? confusing. NOT picking the bike apart but it's missing most of the cool factory cityX pieces, the rear stirrups....tail section gone. if going back to stock you have some sourcing to do.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-21-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    not sure what i'm looking at here but don't quite understand your comments on color changes. from the one pic it appears the bike has cityX cross-braced handlebars. they would be unique to the cityX which is an SX as you mentioned. if the VIN contains the sequence KX it is in fact a cityX. appears to have a kick-ash fly screen and a hero blue airbox cover. hence...you don't like the color but want to change to hero blue????? confusing. NOT picking the bike apart but it's missing most of the cool factory cityX pieces, the rear stirrups....tail section gone. if going back to stock you have some sourcing to do.
    Sorry for the confusion. The vin does contain KX. The cover is a teal-like blue solid in color (non-translucent). I would like a Hero blue cover, but will probably just paint the cover that's on there. The fly screen is just solid black, non-translucent.
    Last edited by corey5988; 05-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corey5988 View Post
    You sure it's the same bike? Not to dispute, but Carter is over 2 hours away from where I picked it up, and the guy has had it for some time now. It does have the mismatched pegs, but aside from that none of those issues.
    Might not be the same one.
    I think the guys name was Charles iirc

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleduster271 View Post
    Might not be the same one.
    I think the guys name was Charles iirc
    Whew, this guy was Blake. I was worried my inspection skills were slipping.

Happened upon this. I believe the one you saw?IMG_0362.jpg

Was a big pain in the butt finding OEM tank decals, so I just had some made up at a local tint/decal shop. Pulled the old ones off and painted the air box cover today. Would like to have painted the fly screen, but had to make some small repairs on it. I'm liking this blue a lot more than the original.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

https://www.sphdonline.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast