Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't connect ECMspy while running (transmission timed out)

can't connect ECMspy while running (transmission timed out)

ECMspy works perfectly with ignition on and engine not running I have not found any functions that don't work when in this condition

I recently swapped my wideband over to this bike, with the intention of doing some data logging. I quickly found out that no matter what I do, as soon as I start the bike, it disconnects.

procedure: I turn on the ignition, with the switch in the run position, connect the cable, open ECMspy, click the keys, it connects as it should, I can see all data channels moving including the TPS when I move the throttle. I can go to any tab and make changes, write them to the bike, etc., but as soon as I start the engine everything disconnects, I am not able to see engine RPM or any other channel, and I get the message "transmission timed out"

What I have tried to correct this problem:
    1. connect charger to bike while starting to reduce voltage drop while cranking (5A charger)
    2. fiddling with cable. It's rock solid while not running, and there's nothing I can do to make it work while running. (this seemed to be a solution on another thread)
    3. Installed fresh software on different computer. Same issue
    4. fiddled with program settings and referenced numerous tuning guides
    5. Checked voltage at plug while not running and running. 5V and 12V lines seemed to be maintained in both conditions
    6. disconnect and try to reconnect while running

Things I plan to try next:
    1. fetch eeprom before starting
    2. push start bike to see if it still disconnects when started
    3. kick something

I've spent days trying the above to troubleshoot as well as countless stupid ideas. I would really appreciate your help!!

Bike: 2004 xb12s
    ECMspy version: 1.12.27
    usb cable: ebay link (it was only $25 when I bought it)
    My computer is running windows 10

Did #6 work?

Unfortunately, 6 has not worked. This is one I have tried many times in as many configurations as I can think of.

pressing the keys to disconnect, then press keys to connect again
    unplug/ replug cable at both ends along with an ECMspy restart
    etc.

Did you try to open your com port again? As in click on the cable picture and another box will appear?
    Last edited by rchuff; 05-26-2017 at 12:43 PM.

I just tried selecting the com port again, it didn't help. I also tried the autodetect function and it said "failed to get com port". I also tried downloading the eeprom directly before starting. That didn't work either. I think I'm going to try running an extra ground wire to the cable tomorrow to see if it's a ground problem.

Thanks for your help so far guys!

I'm having the same problem! Only difference is I'm using a bluetooth dongle and the stock narrowband O2 sensor. Any ideas lowkey?

I ran a second ground cable from the battery to the ECM and communication port. that didn't help.

anyone else have any ideas I should try? I'd really like to get the bike tuned in without guessing and checking. That takes a long time! Thanks in advance!

Where are the brainiacs when you need them ? Let's go guys, get this bike going!

I don't know if ECMSpy is different than ECMDroid (it shouldn't be) and even ECMDroid will disconnect when you start the bike. I have no idea why you can't re-connect to the the bike while its running. The comm port shouldn't care if it's running or not, just that it has power.

Since you have power with the key (and run switch on, I would assume you have power there while it's running. Check it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast