Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ECM Droid gurus...a couple of quick questions

Okay - all good information. Thanks for the help.

Lowkey - yes, I've not changed the map at all since buying the bike (its configuration hasn't changed either). I would certainly be willing to install another map if you have one (Drummer SS, K&N Filter and airbox delete/catch can installed).

Like I said, the bike runs very, very smooth as is...no stumbling, barking or roughness anywhere. It pulls very nicely as well (of course, I wouldn't know if it should be pulling *better). Idle is spot on at 1050 - and it has no issues maintaining idle at all. It also cools down *very fast (and the plugs looked great last year when I replaced them), so I don't think the bike is actually (i.e. in real life) running lean at all.

Does that info help?

Again, thanks for the help...

I'll make those changes (AFV to 100% and a bit of a limit to the outside numbers). I'll also report back. :-)
    Last edited by vicenzajay; 06-05-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Well all I can say is if you are on stock non race fuel/timing maps and running those mods listed you should be seeing AFV around 110-118 not less than 100 as you have right now. I don't make maps or anything like that... I've simply converted race map fuel/timing onto non race ECM's (BUEIB) for a couple members in .xpr format. If you find a map that you think would work with your mods and don't have the application to flash the ECM for the format it is in I can give you a hand on changing it to something that will work for the application you do use.

If the above sounds right to you, my guess is you have an issue somewhere with the bike making the ECM pull fuel... off the top of my head this would be failing 02 sensor, stuck/leaking injector, rise in regulated fuel pressure, tps values referencing the wrong fuel cells or a map set to rich for your bike.

If you are around 15K it is recommended to change the 02 by Al from American sport bike. Hope that helps!

Copy...bike has about 14,100 miles on it (I've put 7,000 of those on it after buying it in early July of 2015).

It's a race ecm, so I'm fairly certain it's not a stock map. I have the BUE2D firmware on my ECM.

No worries - I'll look for a map (they're out there). I'll get back to you as I should have everything needed to flash it to the bike (Buelltooth, ECMdroid, etc.).

For reference (I know it's on the site here, but I'll ask anyhow), do you have the O2 sensor part number handy? I'll do a search, but it might be useful to have it in the thread should others find it during their own searches.

I mis-read and thought it was running poorly. Glad it's running well. If the ECM is pulling 16% of fuel across the whole map, I believe theres an issue with the bike. That is a ton of fuel. Set the AFV to 100 and do your learn routine, check it again. Maybe an O2 like lowkey said. You can check your O2 in the live data section to see if it's weak or lazy before just swapping parts.

I slightly narrow the adjustment window for the AFV for a few reasons and none have anything to do with a bike that runs well.

Firstly, I feel that the 30% fueling sweep (85%-115%) is way more than plenty for any altitude or temperature change my bike would ever see. Second, if the ECM is compensating for a problem by adding 150% of fuel or pulling 40%, I'd like to know so I can fix it. Third, I treat my XB as a beta tester, so if I mod something and don't get the result I want, the bike will still run without going way lean (60) and smoking something, or way rich (150) and flooding something. I'm just putting realistic limits on a major adjustment, the ECM can still compensate.

Remember main jets in a carb? You only ever need to go up or down a couple sizes, so It's like letting the ECM pick from 30 of them instead of 90(!).

If you go through your learn routine and the AFV is still 100, you're good to go.

Found the part numbers from another thread:

02 sensor for buell XB from GM delco #25162693
    GM OEM= 8990469 superseded to 25162693
    Bosch= 12014
    Walker= 250-21001
    Denso= 234-1001
    Airtex= 553071
    SNG= SN1-15
    NTK= 21002

Thanks, Cooter - sounds good. I'll do that.

Like I said, I'll report back. Weather is looking iffy until Thursday, so it might be a few days before I can get a good ride in to see how it all goes.

One thing I should also mention is that I live at 2100 feet (above MSL). I'm sure that's got a bit to do with it, so we'll see what happens with the reset and learning ride.

That's not much elevation for a 16%(!?!) adjustment.

For sure - just wanting to be aware of all the variables...

I'll report back once I get a chance to see what's going on.

Of note - the burn (afv to 100 and limits of 85-115) went well.

vicenzajay, I use the Bosch 12014

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I slightly narrow the adjustment window for the AFV for a few reasons and none have anything to do with a bike that runs well.

Firstly, I feel that the 30% fueling sweep (85%-115%) is way more than plenty for any altitude or temperature change my bike would ever see. Second, if the ECM is compensating for a problem by adding 150% of fuel or pulling 40%, I'd like to know so I can fix it. Third, I treat my XB as a beta tester, so if I mod something and don't get the result I want, the bike will still run without going way lean (60) and smoking something, or way rich (150) and flooding something. I'm just putting realistic limits on a major adjustment, the ECM can still compensate.

Remember main jets in a carb? You only ever need to go up or down a couple sizes, so It's like letting the ECM pick from 30 of them instead of 90(!).

If you go through your learn routine and the AFV is still 100, you're good to go.
    AFV constantly is adjusting over time so resetting it to 100 isn't going to help anything, you stated you've had this tune for some time so no reason to think magic is going to happen by resetting AFV to 100.

Would you rather narrow the AFV window to the point of blowing the motor? That wide window is for safety. If, say you lock it at 90-110 and the intake seals blow out, say goodbye to the motor as it can't add fuel to compensate. There is no benefit to narrowing the window at all. If you are in tune with a properly working bike there is no worries about not catching an issue, most of the sensors will throw a code. If intake seals blow out you get rev hang etc...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast