Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light

Just removed the cable from the servo unit. It feels pretty free and smooth. Pulled the cable out fully and the tension remained consistent throughout the cable travel. It fully returned to its seated position. Probably would not hurt to lube the pivot point of the valve while I'm doing all of this.

I think I'm just going to order the OEM servo from Surdyke. Thanks for the heads up on the alternative using the Ford part.

Inactive
    Probably would not hurt to lube the pivot point of the valve while I'm doing all of this.

understatement. the actual muffler valve is the key. it is expected to work freely and smoothly in an incredibly hostile environment. be absolutely certain it is operating smoothly and freely by one of the methods i mention earlier or you'll quickly trash your new $160 OEM servo unit.

Update:

Installed new exhaust valve actuator (S1138.1AA) checked for free movement of cable and lubed pivot, set free play. Cleared codes. Performed a manual exhaust valve cycle with ECMDroid...no luck. Did it with the throttle and ignition switch method...no exhaust actuator function.

Started the bike, CEL came on of course. Rode the bike. Runs fine but I'm sure it would be better with a functioning valve. Any harm riding the bike with a non-functioning servo?

OK...now what? Is there a chart showing signals or voltage on the connector plug to the actuator? Maybe I'm not getting anything to the servo. Is there a way to apply voltage to the pins in the servo receptacle to cycle it to be sure the replacement servo is actually working?

Any other ideas from the members?

Thanks!

If you can connect via ecm droid/ecm spy you can do a test of the actuator.

I did do that with no success. I'm wondering if actuator is bad or perhaps I'm not getting anything to the actuator.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by FJR1300David View Post
    I did do that with no success. I'm wondering if actuator is bad or perhaps I'm not getting anything to the actuator.

did you even test anything? you'll never know where the problem lies unless you do the below
    1-CAREFULLY check all fuses. the IEV servo unit is fused. check them all closely
    2-IEV unit is a 4-wire harness unit. orange---positive/black----ground/white----trigger/brown----trigger
    3-manually attempt to power it up and check. if no action you bought a bad unit.
    4-if you used ecmspy or similar run the test again with cable disconnected from servo unit. if nothing then bad unit.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Lunaticfringe:

I forgot/did not realize that the IEV servo was fused. You hit it on the nail...the fuse was blown. When the old unit failed it must have taken the fuse with it. Luckily the bike had a spare 10 amp in the spare slot. It all works now. Many thanks!

David

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by FJR1300David View Post
    Lunaticfringe:

I forgot/did not realize that the IEV servo was fused. You hit it on the nail...the fuse was blown. When the old unit failed it must have taken the fuse with it. Luckily the bike had a spare 10 amp in the spare slot. It all works now. Many thanks!

David
    always my pleasure david and thanks for the kind words. in the future please try and refer to me as either "The Whisperer" or "The Wizard". considering the fact that i have a massive insecurity complex one of those surnames really enhances my self-worth....if only for a few minutes.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-18-2017 at 11:55 PM.

The whisperer or the wizard.......EPIC. I can't take much more of this! LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    always my pleasure david and thanks for the kind words. in the future please try and refer to me as either "The Whisperer" or "The Wizard". considering the fact that i have a massive insecurity complex one of those surnames really enhances my self-worth....if only for a few minutes.
    Noted...and I think you've earned the title!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast