Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself and my new to me '03 XB9S

Introducing myself and my new to me '03 XB9S

Hi everyone. I've been riding for the past 16 years (EX500, SV650, RC51, C50T, XL1200C, Bullet 500, TW200, Speed Triple, and now the XB9S). I've always been interested in the Buell since seeing a lightning at Bike Week about 15 years ago, and definetly have a thing for 2 cylinder bikes.

I am heading out on a 10 day tour of Nova Scotia at the end of the month on my Speed Triple, but came across this absolutely mint XB so I had to pick it up and put it in the garage until I return home to sell the Triumph.

I'm hoping to tap into the experience here and learn a few things about these bikes and mine in particular. Here are a few shots of the bike and what I know about it so far.

IMG_20170604_120753.jpgIMG_20170604_120803.jpgIMG_20170604_120821.jpgIMG_20170604_120834.jpgIMG_20170604_120847.jpg

I fould out upon getting it home that this one is an XB9S Low. How can I confirm that it is a factory Low and not just part swapped? Not sure how I feel about that as far as handling goes, time will tell I suppose.

The first owner had it signed by Erik Buell(that's that faded smudge looking thing on the frame).

The rear frame and seat was replaced with parts from a "long" model. I have the work order with all the parts and part numbers, but don't really understand the long model. Is the setup from a City or could you get any bike in a long model? The seat itself is super comfortable compared to the short factory seat and instead of being smooth vinyl is is somewhat of a textured material.

There is a K&N filter on an otherwise stock motor/exhaust setup. Is that OK? I would really like to get the factory race muffler for just a slight improvement on the sound if nothing else, but don't see them around much. I assume the classified section here is the best place to look? Don't want to go full aftermarket as I like the stock look and if I can't find a race piece then I would just leave it alone.

Also, previous owner used 5W40 Rotella T6 syn & HD Formula+. The Rotella T was big with the SV and RC guys, any opinions here?

Those are the only mods done by the previous owner as far as I can tell. I replaced the mirrors with barends and levers with shorty black ones. I also put a yellow driving light and bright white bulb for the high beam. I also added the small bulb for the city light. Was mine just missing the bulb or are they generally not in on non-euro bikes?

I see that the RSS is a big deal and would like to do that next(especially being in Fl). Is my LSS sufficient or is there an upgrade for that too?

Other than that I have never seen a bike with a perfect maintenance record like this one. The guy even detailed the bike out of habit after I test rode it and agreed to buy it!
    Last edited by oneighty; 07-11-2017 at 12:51 AM.

The owners manual that you can get for free from Buellmods.com and Buelltooth.com has a VIN breakdown. Yours should be 4MZWX............for a Scg.

The 'Long' was a whole different bike with a longer frame, swing arm, seat and rails. Someone bolted on the seat rails, pan, and seat to a regular XB9. There were no XB9Ss bikes made, they were all 12's

With just a K&N, I believe you'll be fine without a new fuel map. Good luck on finding the factory race muffler. Look into Drummers, they use a stock can, flow well and sound good. Then you will need a fuel tune. Look at Buelltooth.com to see if they have one for you.

Oil is a very personal thing. Theres plenty of threads to search on the opinions of people here. I personally prefer a synthetic 20w-50 V-twin specific oil and the Harley Formula + for the trans if the clutch is stock. If the clutch is aftermarket, use whatever they recommend.

City light is usually only in Euro bikes. Use the right low wattage bulb or you'll melt the headlight housing.

A RSS is a great, cheap upgrade. Get the whole comfort kit if the heat on your leg bugs you.

Good catch from a loving owner. Now go ride !!!!

Thanks Cooter, great info! You called it on the VIN. Does the sg stand for anything?

I need to double check the wattage on the bulb I put in.

Quote Originally Posted by oneighty View Post
    Thanks Cooter, great info! You called it on the VIN. Does the sg stand for anything?

Does the sg stand for anything?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...tning%2007.htm

Welcome to the board , Yes Cooter knows all !

Does the SCG stand for anything? Center Gravity

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...tning%2007.htm
    V bike2_782.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 06-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Awesome! I love knowing little details like that. Claims to be no difference in handling... I hope that is really the case. I was a little worried when I found out.

Awesome! I love knowing little details like that. Claims to be no difference in handling... I hope that is really the case. I was a little worried when I found out.
    IMO it is the case. I really enjoyed my SCGs.

Buells.jpg

That's a SL not a SCG. They made the SL '03-'04 about 1500 bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by loose1 View Post
    That's a SL not a SCG. They made the SL '03-'04 about 1500 bikes.
    So for '03 and '04 it was an SL and '05 and later were SCG? Same changes in seat and suspension, just different naming? I assume the same claim of unchanged handling would apply?

Also, take a look at the seat on there. It is stamped "GSK N0025.1ANFYW". Searching that only brings up that its a "long" seat, but it is unreasonably comfortable and soft compared to the stock Low seat and Pegasus Streetfighter seats I have. This pictures shows the texture I was talking about.
    IMG_20170604_211414.jpg
    Last edited by oneighty; 06-05-2017 at 06:22 PM.

The sl are 9's and the scg (u.s. models) are 12's Otherwise the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast