Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple will block texting....

Apple will block texting....

Apple plans to block texting from any moving vehicle.

If you text someone who's phone is moving at speeds faster than walking you should get an auto reply UNAVAILABLE. I love this plan and I can't imagine all phone providers wouldn't follow but I'm sure we will need to get government involved. This kind of government intervention I would applaud. Write the law PLEASE!

Too bad for public transports and passengers in cars, they will just have to call it in old school. Texting and driving has become a scofflaw for non compliant people. People have abused it, time to restrict it. And no you can't turn off your GPS without removing battery anyway.

Now that Apple has told the world they CAN do it... legal eagles will be waiting to take all cases against providers if they don't. I think the cats out the bag on this one, just a matter of time now.

Perhaps we will look back in a few years as having ridden during one of the most dangerous times in history for motorcyclist.
    Last edited by midway; 06-06-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Agreed... and as soon as they sort out texting and driving, go ahead and shut it off when walking too... before someone steps into an open elevator shaft.

The crazy thing is that texting while driving is only one of many things that people do on their phones. People watch video clips, scroll through playlists, check email..... you name it. People have gotten very brave with their smart phones while operating their vehicles. I don't see banning texting helping all that much... The whole phone has to go into a car mode where all you can use is the navi and hands free phone call....

While I agree 100%, my accident occurred due to a left hand Turner that never bothered to even look down the road in front of her, a Mack truck could've been coming the other way instead of me on my bike, actually I wish it was a Mack truck, instead of me !

Apple will lose phone sales and quickly switch back....%100 positive they care more about sales than safety.... " Mark my words"! Plus who wants a phone that doesn't work when in motion, ummm nobody. Can't punish passengers for stupid drivers.

Not to mention you can text on your phone via email so they just made it more complicated for dedicated texters. Just add @vtext.com or other mobile carries.

Banned
    Phone should completely shut any network once it has sensed particular speed. It also should shut network connection if there is no GPS signal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djs2k2 View Post
    Apple will lose phone sales and quickly switch back....%100 positive they care more about sales than safety.... " Mark my words"!
    Apple is volunteering on the heals of several states demanding access to data from phones involved in fatal accidents. Apple will comply and so will the others to avoid more privacy issues on their products. Elections are coming, watch how fast some politician uses this as traction for his platform and gets the government involved in making this law for all providers.

I will take your bet sir and mark your words because Apple announced they CAN do it... this opens legal actions from now on from every Tom Dick & Harry attorney at law willing to take a bit of the big Apple. But Apple knew this was coming before they were forced to make this offer for the fix. It will be like cigarette makers, we all knew cigarettes were killing us but until the makers admitted it legal action was limited... this changed today for all cell phone software makers.
    Last edited by midway; 06-06-2017 at 08:32 PM.

I mostly agree with djs2k2. Specifically this statement: "%100 positive they care more about sales than safety"

Look how long it took Apple to activate the kill switch on a stolen phone. Years. Even though they knew it was possible and very easy. No they wanted the revenue from those stolen phones (the carriers were also complicit).

I can also see lawsuits from people who are not driving, but needed to text or call an emergency service or relative. Nothing will stop the sue happy people though. Just because they CAN do it does not mean they have the legal responsibility to do it.

If parents were to actually model the correct behavior to their kids this would not be as big a problem as it is now. (I am looking directly at the driver of the minivan in front of me this morning that had 2 kids in the back seat and she decided to put her van in park at a stop sign (not a normal stop, but one for a section of road that fell away), so she could dig her phone out of her purse and take pictures as she drove. There were no cars coming the other way.

I feel that if the fines were similar to drunk driving, things would change fast. Hard to text and drive when your car (and phone) is impounded. Our lawmakers do not have the cajones to piss off the phone makers or cell companies though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast