Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: messed up back wheel on the Uly

NJ loco --I have every confidence the epoxy method would work great. There is a product we use in the Marine Industry called Chockfast. In case you have to level up the engine beds for a 10 ton Tugboat engine it is the stuff to use.

Would work awesome for the Buell wheel.

HMP I will let you know about the wheel next week after this current situation is resolved. I might fix it and keep it as a spare (as per NJloco's idea). On the other hand I have enough stuff laying around. I doubt if I would sell it to you but might gift it to you or swap for something.

Opto

Just keep me posted brother

One of the main points of that repair, which makes it pretty easy to do, is the fact that, that particular epoxy didn't shrink or expand at all so one would end up with a perfect fit. The shoe polish acts as a release agent so one could remove the bearing and not disturb the repair.

I could take pictures of the exact recommended procedure from the epoxy manual if you would like.

The repairs I have personally done or have supervised successfully, most of you probably wouldn't believe.

Optimist, your in the marine industry, you never heard of Belzona? It's been many years since I was in that business, maybe they're not as well known as they used to be.

I would not hesitate to do this type of repair on my own bikes, and in fact just remembered, I repaired the driveshaft boot on my Triumph tiger. I could have just bought the rubber boot, which was only $3.00 ! Only problem with that was, it was over an hour of labor to install the boot. So I did a similar repair, only I used the rubber epoxy. That was two years and about 10K miles ago, still holding up great.
    Last edited by njloco; 06-08-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Loco,

I get it about the release agent and all that. Shoe polish is a good choice as it fairly thin but waxy. I missed out on the Belzona, maybe it is an East Coast thing. Any good epoxy would work well I am sure.
    Problem with Chockfast is you have to buy a pricey gallon of the stuff.

Some of the two part rubbers are outstanding i.e. your boot repair. Some of them you can vary the viscosity and flex factor on the cured rubber so can make gaskets and such. Better living through chemistry and all that.

Like I said, I like the way you think, Loco, and if you can patch something up and keep rolling more power to you.

I will go through the back pastures of my mind and dig up all the useful substances that could help keep people rolling and pass them on.

this is for Lunatic,

As usual I double down and see problems where none might exist. In this case I started fretting about the spacer listed as #1 G0620 5AK as per your schematic.

StPaul HD is installing the bearings in the 3 bearing wheel. It says it has an axle kit included
    ?? I am thinking that spacer #1 will not be included.

I wondered if you have a spacer or the dimensions as I could turn one out in my shop. What material?

The wheel is not due in til Weds or Thurs so would like to be prepared.

BTW--re St Paul. I must have tried for 1/2 hour to get an actual person on the phone. I finally just ordered on line which was easy and took 5 minutes. Problem of course is that the robot could not answer my questions and the description was "kinda thin"

semi-maddening, yes. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Opto

Inactive
    G1321.02A8 is the complete "axle kit". contents are the axle, 3 wheel bearings, rotor side grease seal, rotor side spacer.
    i do not know the dimensions of the unique spacer.
    i do know that you will need the unique rotor side spacer and grease seal. specific for the 3 bearing wheel.
    spacer dimensions are a non-issue. it comes with the kit.
    see pic

s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-11-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Lunatic,

Well, the blurb says the wheel I purchased has the axle kit so I guess the best thing is to "believe" and get back to watering the garden. Thanks for the re-assuring info, and again, I will let you know how this sorts out.
    Actually, if the axle kit is included with the wheel it seems like a not so bad deal, now.

Opto

All,

I like happy endings. The Uly wheel issue seems resolved. StPaulHD send me the three bearing wheel, with bearings installed and the complete axle kit( including proper spacers).

So new Tourance from Metzeler, new brake pads from EDC, fresh oil all around, new wheel and axle--bike feels like a new bike so the big problem is where to head out to next.

HMP PM me and we can work something out on the wheel.
    Lunatic--StPaul did me good and with the new axle and all it was not too bad of a deal.

NJloco--I will gift the wheel to HMP and he can do as he pleases. Any similar issues down the road and I will be going to the local hardware store for some epoxy, for sure. I really like field expedient repairs.

so knock wood and carry on -- everybody get out there and burn some fuel!

Opto

Thanks for the report! Glad it worked out for you Opto

PM me about that back wheel, HMP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast