Thread: The Buell vs the Bagger

The Buell vs the Bagger

Just finished Cruzing PCH - hwy 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Did a little jog through some paved goat trails in the mountains as well on a rented Harley Bagger. I don't know HD models but it was big and blue with a 103ci. Twin Cam. It was about 1000lbs with rider and gear.

Lots of low end torque but light on the top end. This was the first air cooled HD I've ever ridden, I have a streetrod (vrod), Ducati SS and a Buell xt. Wow, I loved clocking up miles on the highway but any maneuver under 5 miles per hour was not confidence inspiring. The twisties were also uncomfortable. A turn with no guard rails, in the mountains with a 15MPH sign caused my butt hole to seriously clenched up!

I kept telling my self, if I had the ...... (see above) I would be carving the crap out of this corner. After 3 days I was starting to settle into a grove but I would prefer the XT over the Bagger for touring. I'll trade some comfort for 400lbs and razor sharp handling. I understand now, why air-head HD riders call the Buell and Vrod fast rides. I come from a litre sport bike background and find the Buell and Vrod light on top end. I am totally addicted to V-twin torque and would trade top end for usable power.

At 2000rpm in 6th the HD could pull the 1000lbs nicely out of a corner with confidence. Unfortunately if you lean more than 10 degrees your grinding hard parts. I probably won't rent a Bagger again and I won't be buying a traditional HD any time soon. I feel I've cherry picked the two best non-HD products that HD sold (and discounted). I may look at a Buell Tuber S1. If Eric ever squeezed the 1125 Helicon motor into the Ulysses chassis I wouldn't need to own three bikes!

I strongly recommend the PCH tour for any and all riders.

Interesting! I too would highly recommend the PCH-gorgeous scenery and twisty, smooth pavement...
    Cheers.

Totally agree man! I've got a 103 Harley softail slim and love my old school low slow loud Harley, but am constantly grinding foot boards, gritting my teeth over bumps and getting out ran by higher dollar harleys and sport bikes. The entire time thinking to myself, if I'd rode the uly I'd be going faster smoother easier... but my wife and I are short which makes it super hard mounting and dismounting the uly. So low and slow we go!
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 06-10-2017 at 02:31 AM.

The right tool for the job

I've had a couple F.I. Sporty 1200's Liked the Custom pretty well. I'm tall but a low seat, forward controls, drag bars, and a little saddle bag on the left side made a killer in-town errand runner. I'm surprised how heavy even that 'chick bikes' are

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    If Eric ever squeezed the 1125 Helicon motor into the Ulysses chassis I wouldn't need to own three bikes!

I strongly recommend the PCH tour for any and all riders.
    A) Have ridden it, its beautiful and awesome

B) On BadWeb someone posted a pic from this weekend from the factory - there is an 1125 in an XB frame.
    So it IS possible.