Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 xb12s sat for four years

07 xb12s sat for four years

Hello. New to Buell and this forum. Just bought an 07 XB12s with 14k miles. The bike sat for four years. Saw it on Craig's list, went and saw the bike, got a good deal. Drove it & when I bought it and it ran rough. But it had good acceleration and torque.

Got it home, changed the gas, oil, spark plugs and now it runs worse that when I got it home. I know a bit about old school carbs... Cleaning and syncing etc. But never have owned a fuel injected bike.

The bike has huge lags between accelerate and decelerate. If it was a carb bike I would think the carbs need to be gone through. It definitely feels like it is missing at times. But beings this is one fuel injector I have no clue. Want to learn. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

www.buellmods.com for service manual.
    Start researching how to test for leaking intake seals and how to replace said seals.
    Also start researching how to perform a throttle position sensor reset.
    You might want to pull the fuel pump and change the filters.
    If you've changed the plugs on your own and you're mechanically inclinded(sounds like you are) this stuff should make for a nice romantic weekend; just you and the buell in the garage.
    Good luck

Thanks, I have the manual. I did not realize there were filters on/in the fuel pump. The throttle position reset,... I will investigate. Would that make it run like it is missing. Also, I failed to say that the check engine light came on after I did my work on it FWIW.

Thanks I'll start there.

TPS would not make it miss but could be the possible culprit for the throttle lag on acceleration and deceleration.

Check engine light AFTER doing the plugs you say?
    Check these:
    Plug wires; are they fully seated on coil and plugs?
    Intake snorkel; is it fully seated on the throttle body and airbox base plate?
    Air inlet sensor(I think that's what it's called); the sensor on the airbox base plate. Did you remember to plug it back in?
    Insure all grounds are clean and tight.
    Check the above items and report back.
    Hopefully you just overlooked something real simple.
    Good luck

"Intake snorkel; is it fully seated on the throttle body and airbox base plate?"

Good call Chicken, That's a common Buell newbie thing that will set a CEL. Running that bad gas through it could have clogged an injector, but lets not go there yet.

Look up Buelltooth.com for info and a way to re-set the TPS without going to a shop.

I will check intake snorkel (I assume it is the big rubber horn flare looking thing) and have ordered the Buelltooth. I will check plug wires. I never unplugged the air inlet sensor. did not know how the connector worked/did not want to break. As opposed to looking it up I laid the air box face plate off to the side. It was plugged in when it all went back together.

Also, there was what looked like a 3/8" fuel line hose behind the coil pack (if you are sitting on the bike it was to the left of the coil pack) that was not connected to anything. No sign of a hose clamp on the end ant the inside of the end looked a bit dirty like it had not been plugged in for a while. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch

Look up info on crank case breather and crank case breather mods.
    If you look at the top of your rockerbox cover you'll see a PCV type valve. That's your crankcase breather. One on the front cylinder one on the rear. From the factory the system vents back into the airbox. Some mods go over board and add all sorts of unnecessary BS. Others just route the tubes from the airbox to atmosphere somewhere at the bottom of the engine.
    Look up some info on the topic via google and search the service manual. Route the breathers however you please.

Quote Originally Posted by maintenceman View Post
    Hello. New to Buell and this forum. Just bought an 07 XB12s with 14k miles. The bike sat for four years. Saw it on Craig's list, went and saw the bike, got a good deal. Drove it & when I bought it and it ran rough. But it had good acceleration and torque.

Got it home, changed the gas, oil, spark plugs and now it runs worse that when I got it home. I know a bit about old school carbs... Cleaning and syncing etc. But never have owned a fuel injected bike.

The bike has huge lags between accelerate and decelerate. If it was a carb bike I would think the carbs need to be gone through. It definitely feels like it is missing at times. But beings this is one fuel injector I have no clue. Want to learn. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    By you saying it now runs worse, leads me to think some of the varnish from the old gas had time to do some clogging, around the pump and in the injectors.

Let's talk more about the gas you changed when you got home, Was it run with 4 year old gas in it ? How did you change it ? You might still have junk clogging around your fuel pump and in injectors ( as Cooter hit on ). Do you have 50 pounds of fuel pump pressure. Just throwing this out there.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 06-11-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Look up info on crank case breather and crank case breather mods.
    If you look at the top of your rockerbox cover you'll see a PCV type valve. That's your crankcase breather. One on the front cylinder one on the rear. From the factory the system vents back into the airbox. Some mods go over board and add all sorts of unnecessary BS. Others just route the tubes from the airbox to atmosphere somewhere at the bottom of the engine.
    Look up some info on the topic via google and search the service manual. Route the breathers however you please.
    Thanks... that is what has me baffled about this hose. Both of the stock breather hoses are there and vented as you say to the air box. I'll see if I can find where the other end gets to. I just checked the snorkel and the plug wires. Maybe I'll get lucky and it was one of them. The snorkel is nice and tight around the throttle body, or so it seems to me.

Thanks again!

You probably have it right, but for clarity... He means the lip that engages the airbox base plate. I takes a little pick or flathead screwdriver to get the base plate in-between the lips of the snorkel.
    Before your Buelltooth gets there, look all around that site and search here about using ECMDroid to help you diagnose it. The "live data" section is priceless for people that want to do more than parts swap until they gat lucky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast