Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1125R oil system check

1125R oil system check

Hello Forum members,
    I've got a new to me 1125R that hasn't run in a few years and I want to check the oil system is good to go. My previous 1125R seized after a routine oil change, hence the desire to check it.

I have Motul 7100 in the engine from the previous owner at an acceptable level. What else can I check?

00A0A_i4TFzUlprqi_600x450.jpg

The service manual should be available for free in .pdf form from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Honestly if it runs and the oil light is off, you are worried about nothing.

The new bike starts right up, and the check oil light did turn off. However after 15 seconds of idling the mechanical clatter that I heard in my dead 1125R is present in this one. It sounds like metallic clatter coming from the front of the engine. Any ideas?

Are you sure it's not just sounding like a Buell? My XB and 1125 have a very unique natural clatter to them.

Can elaborate on what exactly caused your other 1125 to seize after an oil change?

I'm not extremely versed in the 1125 but one thing I would do is check the oil for shiny bits. If the oil sparkles you knows there's metal in it.
    Also, make sure that none of the oil lines are crimped.

Only thing you can really test is oil pressure. Part number for tester is HD-96925-52B

Its not a bad idea to drop the pump screen either but you will need a new gasket and o-ring.

Both of my 1125's have a rattle similar to what you are describing. The previous owner of one even bought a new engine thinking it was bad, but 5k miles later shes still clanking along.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Can elaborate on what exactly caused your other 1125 to seize after an oil change?

I'm not extremely versed in the 1125 but one thing I would do is check the oil for shiny bits. If the oil sparkles you knows there's metal in it.
    Also, make sure that none of the oil lines are crimped.
    While I'm still in the process of tearing down the old 1125, I didn't find metallic debris, cylinder walls, piston rings and timing chains were is perfect condition, and the oil screen was clean. Strangely there was no oil above the oil pressure retention valve (spring assembly behind the oil filter) and no oil in the passage above the oil pressure sensor. This may have been empty from draining the oil. I'm to the point where I need to split the engine case in half to inspect the oil pump which is my suspect. I have pictures of my teardown if you're interested

As for the new 1125R, its possible that it is just making Buell sounds but I am very cautious in light of my dead Buell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    Only thing you can really test is oil pressure. Part number for tester is HD-96925-52B

Its not a bad idea to drop the pump screen either but you will need a new gasket and o-ring.

Both of my 1125's have a rattle similar to what you are describing. The previous owner of one even bought a new engine thinking it was bad, but 5k miles later shes still clanking along.
    Thats worth trying, how long would the engine need to be running before it gave me valid data?

You'd want it warm so the oil is at operating temp. Cold oil will show higher pressures.

Heres a good thread to look through for idle and running pressures.

My 09 1125 had quite a bit of garbage stuck under the pump intake screen so if its never been off id suggest at least taking a peek. Others have noted this as well...
    Last edited by Cosworth; 06-21-2017 at 05:39 PM.

If your last 1125 "seized after an oil change" it should be ridiculously obvious what seized once the engine is apart. They use surprisingly low oil flow volume as well as compared to a car.
    Cosworth is right about the check, but you can use any 60psi gauge plumbed into the oil sender hole instead of buying the HD tool. I you are that nervous about it, you could add a small gauge to your dash and use that sender in the factory hole.

Yes they are loud, rattly beasts. My solution was to get a Dean Adams exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast