Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buell XB12R battery losing charge

While starting to remove the starter I did notice that there was a frayed wire on the vehicle speed sensor cable. I missed this when replacing the VR. One of the pics is a blow up of where I am referring to. You can see the frayed wire. The second is a close up of the wire. Does anyone think this could cause a battery draw? I was trying to rotate the pics correctly, but my photo editing skills are about on par with my motorcycle fixing skills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 07FireboltXB12R; 07-01-2017 at 04:17 PM.

If you see bare wire, I'd fix it. If you don't, I'd just tape it.

Either way it isn't your draw. The VSS isn't powered with the key off. The only draw you are concerned about, will be on a key off/ still powered circuit.

I recommended the starter solenoid because of the info given. You said the new (#3) battery holds a charge, but the bike still cranks-clicks-cranks-clicks. At least thats what I thought you meant , Lol.

Cooter,

I used some butt connectors to splice the wires together. I'm going to give it a week or so to see if the clicking starts back up. I checked the battery voltage this morning after it had been off of the charger for a few days. It was at 13.25V and holding and it started fine. This has been typical in the past where everything is great for awhile before the cycle resumes. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the help.

odd but yes, keep us informed!

Buell Firebolt XB12R voltmeter mod

TPEHAK,

I did the mod that you recommended. Very easy with your step-by-step instructions. Thanks for the instructions and recommendation.

I posted the vid to youtube,

https://youtu.be/EOD36FilGRc

Note that I posted that this was your idea and design and that I take no credit for it.

The battery issues seem to be resolved. The bike sat for a week or so to test if the voltage would hold, and it did. Thanks everyone for the help.

Let me know what you think.

Banned
    Wow, very cool! I like your voltmeter. Now just keep an eye on it so if there is any problem with alternator system, battery or bad contacts you will see it in advance before you will be far from home with dead battery like it happened with me before I installed voltmeter.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.

That is WELL done !!! awesome!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123