Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need expert advise please

Need expert advise please

Last weekend a friend and I were out riding and my rear bearing went out on my XB9R. Thankfully I came to a safe stop and nothing else got damaged. That is until I screwed it up. The bearing fell apart as soon as the wheel came off, leaving the outside/outer rim of the bearing in the wheel. I'm ashamed to admit this but I chipped part of the rim that seats the bearing thinking what I was hitting was the bearing when I was actually hitting the rim. Since then I bought some bearing pullers and got the outer ring out.

My question is whether or not it will be safe to ride or will I need to get another wheel? There's still a little lip all the way around for the bearing but kinda hard to see from the pictures. I'd really like to get someone who knows more about this than I do to give a second opinion. I thought that the bearing would be held in place by the spacer and swing arm and maybe put some loctite around the bearing. But would that be enough? Could the vibration and pressure in the turns be enough to cause more damage? I have no idea. Any expert advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Inactive
    there is NO WAY in hell i'd re-use that wheel. see below thread for assistance. for a multitude of reasons a replacement bearing will NEVER seat properly within that bearing pocket/floor. with improper bearing-to-hub fitment catastrophic results happen in short order which are typically life-threatening.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...eel-on-the-Uly

^^^^^ +2 on that! Throw that rim out and get new one. Wouldn't even think of using it!

I would totally use it!

Hanging as garage art, but never as a wheel again.

Ride it!
    Just make sure your life insurance policy has me as the sole recipient!
    PM me for details

Ouch, trash it quick. Best part is you will never do that again.

Not an expert, can't advise... but I did my own wheel bearings front and rear at one point and fortunately had my glasses on so as not to do that! It can happen I guess, might be a good used one out there for you.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...l+rim&_sacat=0

Thanks everyone. A few people in my circle were saying if it would seat then I could use, while others say no way. I'm going to be getting a new rim as soon as I get the cash together. Its so frustrating to see my baby sitting there all beat up knowing it was my fault for not getting the right tools. Oh well, this too shall pass. Any good recommends on where to get a wheel other than ebay? Im new to the forum. Does anyone buy/sell here?
    Thanks

Inactive
    ^^^^^^allow me to make a few observations and suggestions so that you don't damage or potentially ruin the replacement wheel that you're going to purchase.
    1-you were man enough to admit that all that damage was done by your inexperience and ham-fisted approach. i commend you for your honesty. clearly you have little to no experience with motorcycle wheel bearing removal and installation. they are tedious and challenging on both the removal and installation side.
    2-your XB9 wheel appears to be a 2003 model year assembly. if that's the case when you purchase your replacement rear wheel i would strongly recommend doing the front wheel bearings at the same time. leave nothing to chance as the bike is now 14 years old and chances are they are still the original bearings.
    3-all balls very popular replacement kits. front part # is 25-1351......rear part # for all 2-bearing wheels is 25-1627. available online thru usual outlets. the OEM bearing kits with the black colored grease seals also excellent and available thru any H-D dealer.
    4-LASTLY....check each wheel inner spacer closely. if it appears tweaked, torqued, crushed, gouged or damaged on either/both ends IT MUST be replaced. the spacer is what properly "loads" the bearings.
    these bearings are both tempermental and tedious to remove and install CORRECTLY. if you're not comfortable doing it on your own simply take both wheels and your new bearing sets to any local cycle shop and have them do the installation.
    IF YOU LIVE NEAR SOUTHERN PA....bring both wheels and parts here and i'll do them for you. takes me approx. 20 minutes per wheel to remove/refinish/clean/install/check pre-load and send you on your way.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-04-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal333 View Post
    Thanks everyone. A few people in my circle were saying if it would seat then I could use, while others say no way. I'm going to be getting a new rim as soon as I get the cash together. Its so frustrating to see my baby sitting there all beat up knowing it was my fault for not getting the right tools. Oh well, this too shall pass. Any good recommends on where to get a wheel other than ebay? Im new to the forum. Does anyone buy/sell here?
    Thanks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Buel...55509567579853

Here's someone that has one for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast